The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Raising Nigerian Dwarf DAIRY Goats, registered wit
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are in the process if switching the goats feed over to organic feed. Their diet will be mainly forage and hay. So my question is, is there a way to worm them naturally without the stress of herbal wormers?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Have you read "Natural Goat Care" by Pat Coleby? It is published by Acres U.S.A., which is known for its research into and interest in organic farming. Pat argues that parasite control is based not on chemicals or herbals, but on the proper nutrition and mineral uptake. She makes a convincing case for copper et al based on many years of raising goats in Australia. It is a very worthwhile book to read for any goat raiser.

http://www.acresusa.com/natural-goat-care

Kevin

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,340 Posts
Haven't read it, but I don't think you can make a case for that in domestic situations. Wild goats stay healthy by having a proper diet - but they also aren't exposed to nearly as many parasites because they cover so much more ground. Even the healthiest goat can only be resistant to a point.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,805 Posts
Have you read "Natural Goat Care" by Pat Coleby? Pat argues that parasite control is based not on chemicals or herbals, but on the proper nutrition and mineral uptake. She makes a convincing case for copper et al based on many years of raising goats in Australia. It is a very worthwhile book to read for any goat raiser.

http://www.acresusa.com/natural-goat-care

Kevin
The only problem with this is housing. To many goats in to small an area will have and keep getting worms regardless of what you give them. Rotating and feeding in a fresh area each time would go along ways to making it more freezable. But as most people who raise goats keep pretty much the max they can as they bread like rabbits :)

·
Raising Nigerian Dwarf DAIRY Goats, registered wit
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
What makes you say herbal wormers are stressful?
We do not have enough time to do it weekly. I have school, my mom works, and my dad is always away on business trips. So thats not an option

And, we have quite a few goats to care for (17)

·
Goatless goat momma
7,838 Posts
you can herbally worm when you feed. I just posted on your other thread. an easy way to do it is to moisten their grains in the feed bowl, and sprinkle the herbs in. the herbs will stick to the moistened grains so they eat it when they eat the grains. no need to make any balls or drench. just have to make sure they eat their food (which goat doesn't??)

·
Super Moderator
59,892 Posts
just have to make sure they eat their food (which goat doesn't??)
I have a goat that will not eat her food if the herbs are on it. She honestly would rather starve than eat the herbs. She is the one that I have to force to take it all the time. There was nothing that worked for her to take it willingly. My other 2 goats will eat it just fine though.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,838 Posts
^^ silly picky goats. I have one that sometimes does that. but, thankfully, she got over the herbs being in her food now. I used to have to dip the herbs in banana pieces and feed that to her. I still have to hide garlic in places so she'll eat it. whoever started the whole thing that goats eat everything never had a picky eater!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.