The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Member with a bahhh
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am totally thinking of building one of those organic houses for myself once I move to North Carolina. They are cheap, easy to build, economical and oh so cool looking. You can let your imagination run wild and build what ever you want. I love The Lord of the Rings so I think I should make a round front door too. My dad is a construction worker, has built three of my family's personal conventional houses as well as plenty of others so I'll have his help and I have his building genes. My mom swears I could make something liveable out of a sheet of plastic and two sticks. Check out these two houses.

http://www.simondale.net/hobbit.htm http://www.simondale.net/undercroft.htm

I think I'll make my goats barn like one of them too. Maybe that could be my trail run to test things out and see how it all works.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I would love, Love, LOVE to live in something like that! Be sure to check building codes in your area. Those are usually a stumbling block for alternative construction. The people that issue the permits don't like to think outside the box.

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
Love it! Absolutely LOOOOOVE it! I wonder how long they last? I would want it to last so I wouldn't have to rebuild every few years.
@Danielle, my brother is currently fascinated with Mongolia. I am sure he would like to live in a yurt!!

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,072 Posts
I know I could do it too. I will get a bit of land, use a solar shower, etc. I want a simple, yet comfortable, lifestyle. (Internet a must, haha! I also use my laptop for art, I will probably use solar for electricity). Besides, my family already uses a woodstove to heat the house, so I will be used to that part of the bargain. :D

·
Member with a bahhh
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I look forward to seeing what you come up with! Are you planning on running electric, plumbing? Having it permitted?
Yep I plan on having electric and plumbing. I'm not sure I want to deal with a compost toilet but I think I will do a grey water setup.

Love it! Absolutely LOOOOOVE it! I wonder how long they last? I would want it to last so I wouldn't have to rebuild every few years.
If built correctly and regularly maintained to repair any plaster cracks or in some cases cob they can last a hundred years or more.

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
If built correctly and regularly maintained to repair any plaster cracks or in some cases cob they can last a hundred years or more.
Wow!

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
very cute! can't wait to see the finished product!

and I share your sentiment for compost toilet.....lots of green folk down here are adamant that living a green lifestyle means you have to have a compost toilet....but to me a compost toilet is too close to being a port-a-potty or outhouse!

another way that I've seen is really long lasting is a hemp house, I read somewhere it's 7X stronger than conventional concrete but light weight. only problem is I believe hemp is illegal to grow in the US?

·
Member with a bahhh
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
very cute! can't wait to see the finished product!

and I share your sentiment for compost toilet.....lots of green folk down here are adamant that living a green lifestyle means you have to have a compost toilet....but to me a compost toilet is too close to being a port-a-potty or outhouse!

another way that I've seen is really long lasting is a hemp house, I read somewhere it's 7X stronger than conventional concrete but light weight. only problem is I believe hemp is illegal to grow in the US?
Yep. Hemp is ilegal to grow in the US but you can import it. Its a shame because its such a usefull plant.

·
Member with a bahhh
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well my dad has decided to snub the idea. He thinks its unsafe and impractical. Since he's going to be helping me I do have to value his opinion as I really don't want to build my house by myself. Good thing I have a back up plan that I know he already likes. The cargo container house. I'm working on a 3d rending of my design if anyone want to see it once I get the exterior done. It will be two stories. Two containers on the bottom and two on the top but in an L shape not a square. Hopefully he will approve of this one.

·
Member with a bahhh
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's a shame! I really liked those organic houses.
How do the container houses work? I would like to see it. :D
If you google container house it will give you a ton of images.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I wouldnt call our house "organic" but we have 2 compost toilets,solar Hot water and 14 solar panels(3kw system),rainwater tanks and when I have the time a vege patch and we grow heaps of citrus,teejae

·
Member with a bahhh
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Cargo Contianer House

For anyone who is interested here are the 3d images of my idea. You can click the images to see them bigger.

Ground floor + patio.

Second floor.

Front.

Kind of back view. You can see the front door in the window to the left.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts