Orphan baby shivering after feeding?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by cloudwalkerr, Feb 6, 2011.

1. cloudwalkerr

cloudwalkerr New Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    On Tuesday, one of my does, who was too young to have a kid, only about 10 months old, had a kid.. And rejected her. I figure the doe was pregnant when we got her, because she hasn't been exposed to a buck at my house. Anyways, I was unable to get the doeling colostrum, because try as I would, the mother wouldn't let me milk her.. I've been feeding the doeling KidGro, and sometimes when she finished eating, I notice she's been shivering. Not a lot of shivering, but shivering none the less. Any ideas why she could be shivering?

Thanks

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is bad... she didn't get colostrum.... :(

If she was born... on Tues.... it is to late to get her colostrum now... as her body will not absorb the good in it..... :(

How is her tummy...and have you taken her temp?

With a mom that wont let you milk her.... I tie her head snug up to a fence or post....tie up her back leg.... the one I am milking from.... and I will... milk her...remember you are the boss..... :wink:

Are you feeding her luke warmed milk..?.if it is to cold... she will shiver.... as it will chill her...

Good luck with her....hopefully she will be OK....but... without the colostrum...she will have a rough go at life... :hug: :pray:

3. jduwall

jduwall New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    is she outside? do you have a heat lamp? have you taken her temp? how is her poopie...if it is running your could have it tested for cocci....if it is cold maybe put a sweater on her.....good luck. give her hugs from PA

4. cloudwalkerr

cloudwalkerr New Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    No, she's inside, because it's too cold outside, and the other goats have showed aggression towards her every time I try to introduce her, and also so that I can feed her. I think the milk may be a tad cold, I just wasn't sure if that could make her shiver. I'll start to warm the milk up more, hopefully that will help. Besides the shivering she seems to be a really strong baby. :)

Thanks for the suggestion for milking, I'll be sure to try that :)

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome.... :thumb:

Glad she is inside... :greengrin:

yeah... warm up the milk....after you do that...put a little on your wrist....make sure... it isn't to hot either.... it will help warm the kid better...and not chill her....good luck.... :hi5: