Orphan Kids ?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by CarolinaGirlzminigoats, Nov 25, 2007.

1. CarolinaGirlzminigoats

CarolinaGirlzminigoats Guest

Oct 5, 2007
    Hello,

Its been a while since I have had time to get on the computer. I got a phone call this evening from a friend and her Father just had a heart attack and he is not well enough to care for all his goats. One of his does gave birth this morning and she will not care for the kids. SO YES I now have two sweet orphan Nubian Twins. They were not doing well when I first picked them up but I gave them some nutri drench there drove home and gave them some bounce back and then they were standing talking, wagging tails and looked better so I then fed them some milk.

I own Mini Goats so I need to know some info about the larger goats. So if anyone can help me out and give me some info about nubians.

Also They both seem to have a cough. I am not sure how long they were out in the cold and it drizzled rain some here off and on today. Should I worry about the cough and is there anything I should start them on?

SORRY so many questions.

Thank You,

Darlene

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    first thing - congrats on your bottle babies.

now do you have colostrum? they really need a couple ounces of colostrum to give them the best fighting chance at life.

I will leave the feeding rutine and amounts to someone who can remember better then myself

3. CarolinaGirlzminigoats

Oct 5, 2007
    Thanks Stacy...

No I dont have any but I will call and ask if they can milk her tomorrow, however the owner is VERY sick so that may not happen. They said she was def full and her udder was hanging to the ground. This is her second birth and she didnt do well with the last kids and they died after three days. SO they wont be breeding her again.

My main concern is they both seem to have a little cough.

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    they need the colostrum with in 24 hours or it isn't going to be of much use (correct me if I am wrong anyone).

how far away are they from you?

Can you get some colostrum replacer?

5. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I do believe you are right Stacey...They need it with in 24 hours. I would get at least some cow colostrum in them

6. Sara

Sara Guest

Oct 4, 2007
    If the feed store is open go get some colostrum replacer.

7. CarolinaGirlzminigoats

Oct 5, 2007
    OK.. I will call and see if I can get some asap...

8. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Were you about to get some??

9. CarolinaGirlzminigoats

Oct 5, 2007
    No I wasnt able to get my hands on any but they are doing a lot better today. Both Does are up and walking, tails waggng and eating well.

As soon as I get my camera charged I will take a pic to share. I have bottled several of my mini goats BUT never the larger breeds so this will be a learning experience for all...

So Far they have done GREAT with the bottle. My minis took a day or two to get use to the bottle. Last night they latched on to the bottle like it was Momma. YAY

Thanks for all the advice and support,

Darlene

10. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    That is great!! Maybe they got some colostrum before mom rejected them. Who knows. Glad they are doing well.

11. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    That's great, I'm glad they got used to the bottle quickly, I've had some that were just down right stubborn. :roll:

12. cute kids

cute kids Guest

Oct 5, 2007
    if they didn't get colostrum or enough of it, their immune systems will not be as effective as if they had. therefore, keep a close eye on them for illness of any kind; they may need more support/intervention than your colostrum immune kids would. perhaps people on here familiar with supplementing for immune problems can give you some advice.

13. CarolinaGirlzminigoats

Oct 5, 2007
    Pics Of The Twins... Honey Bun and Sugar Lump

I thought I would share pics of the twins.....

HONEY BUN....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SUGAR LUMP....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are three weeks old and doing GREAT... They are so Sweet and YES they own Me!!!

14. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
  15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh my oh my HOW CUTE!!!!

16. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    They are absoulutly ADORABLE!!!!!!! I love them!

17. eliya

eliya New Member

AWWWWW!! How CUTE! Those sweet faces are just adorable! Congratulations!

18. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH MY gosh, what a wonderful and beautiful set of goats.
    They are the perfect :chears: :xmasgreengrin: gift

19. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Just so you all know, they should have the colostrum within the first 12 hours to really get the goodies that they need to survive.

20. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    You have obviously done an excellent job with those cuties!! They look very healthy and I am so glad that they are thriving for you! Are they getting a replacer or were you able to start them on goat milk? Either way they look great!