The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok yesterday therewas a mix up at the livestock auction and I ended up with a kid that no one wanted. I have raised all kinds of animals but know nothing about goats. Now I have this baby of unknown age and health and breed. All I know is it hasnt pooped since yesterday around 3pm. I am feeding it land o lakes doe match milk replacer but everythong I read says to give whole milk from the store. So here are my questions. Is it bad that it hasnt pooped? do I need to slowly transition between replacer and milk? Are there things I need to be doing for this kid besides feeding it? Is being around a dog bad for it? Please help I really do not want to kill this thing.

·
Super Moderator
59,786 Posts
The Land O Lakes milk replacer should be ok. Just be sure to mix it as the directions say and make sure all the powder is fully dissolved. Is the kid drinking the bottle? How much does he/she weigh? How much are you feeding per bottle?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Being around dogs isn't bad for the goat unless the dogs hurt it. I Have a little one who was bottle raised with two dogs as companions and she did just fine. She thinks she is a dog though...sigh.:D. Good luck with your new baby. You may be on the brink of a new obsession. ...Just sayin'. Oh and by the way, WELCOME!!!

·
Registered
31,500 Posts
also as Stacy said..if he hasnt pooped do an enema....I mix cooking oil or mineral oil with warm water...use a syringe to draw up some, insert the tip in the lambs rear...pushing the punger slowly..then message the tummy..repeat if no results...allow some enema or poo to come before filling up again..this could take a while depending on how stopped up the lamb is..
add a bit of mineral oil to the bottle to help keep things moving and always no matter what follow the directions for mixing the replacer..best wishes

1 - 8 of 8 Posts