The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And for a cat?

My apologies for not posting this in the Other Pets forum but it'll get a lot more exposure here.
Since most of us old timers keep big old bottles of injectable Fortified B Complex on hand I'm wondering, can it be given orally?
My oldest cat has just been diagnosed with an unspecified cancer and I want to boost his appetite. I can pay a fortune to the vet for a little bitty bottle, but that stuff looks and smells exactly like what I have on hand for the goats. I have a call in to the vet but she hasn't responded.
Thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would see if you could get pred from your vet, it's a very inexpensive drug that stimulates appetite and also helps with cancer. I worked as a vet tech for 7 years and that was always my doctors go to drug in cats. B complex can also be given SQ and I can look up the dose if you would like if you want to try that first. Sorry your cat's sick :(

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would see if you could get pred from your vet, it's a very inexpensive drug that stimulates appetite and also helps with cancer. I worked as a vet tech for 7 years and that was always my doctors go to drug in cats. B complex can also be given SQ and I can look up the dose if you would like if you want to try that first. Sorry your cat's sick :(
Thanks! He's getting 5mg pred split into two doses daily along with lasix to keep fluid from building in his chest cavity. The vet took 140ml of fluid out of his chest two days ago. That's how I noticed he was sick, having trouble breathing. Labs on the fluid indicate an advanced cancer so this is it for the old guy, he's 16 years old. I just want to keep him as comfortable as possible in his last days. He's still going outside to hang around in the shade like he loves to do and I'm letting him. Losing weight fast, I'd just like to boost his appetite some more.

What's the dose please for sub Q on a cat? I have some tiny insulin syringes that would be nearly painless. Between his shoulder blades?
Thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
So reading my pharmacology book the dose is 0.5-1.0 mls SQ, you can give it any where there is loose skin BUT I did read that cancer cells thrive off of b12 so that may not be the best choice. If it was my cat and they were doing well on the pred that's what I would stick with, but it's completely up to what you are comfortable with and what makes your cat feel better.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks, I've tried giving him the injectable orally, just 0.10 ml or so and it makes him drool and he spits most of it out. Gets mad at me too which is no good given he's already not feeling good. I just don't feel like he's eating enough. I should probably back off and let him be. Only prolonging the inevitable anyhow.

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
You could always get a couple cans of the cat food at the vet that has the extra calories. That helped my cat. Then at least when they are only eating a tiny bit it is packed full of protein and stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts