The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We need to castrate again...our emasculator is so difficult to use and we have to repeat on a few of the boys whose scrotum didn't shrivel up. These guys are close to 12 weeks now and we want to make this as easy as possible. I'd like to use a topical anaesthetic but not sure what to look for or what's safe. Clove oil? That seems like a crazy thing to put on genitalia!

We're relatively close to Farm and Fleet and TSC but could use something from our home medicine cabinet if it's effective.

Thanks!

Oh- these are sheep. :)

·
Registered
30,643 Posts
I dont think I would use clove either. Its a hot oil. You can use lavender just under the nose to help calm and relax the boys, but for pain relief I would do banamine.

·
Registered
30,643 Posts
def would do tetanus antitoxin shot before rebanding and would band above old band. Just a thought.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's an emasculator (burdizzo) not banding so no broken skin. it's just a couple seconds of ouch. our particular tool is hard to hold and compress, like it's made for much bigger hands.

i got some menthol based gel, we may put some near but not on the spot as a physical distraction. lavendar is a great idea too. i had a nurse once notice my sensitivity to injections and a second before she poked she said "do you smell popcorn?" which, of course, shifted focus to a different sense but also made me laugh because there was no popcorn and i knew what she was doing.

thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
30,643 Posts
Awe. ok. Love the pop corn story lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts