The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been buying Kelp for my goats for awhile. While my goats really love the kelp, it's $50 for a 50lb bag so I'm open to suggestions for other alternatives. What do you all think, is the cost of kelp worth it or are there cheaper alternatives or options that are as nutritionally comparable?

In addition to the kelp my goats get sweetlix meat maker loose mineral free choice, weekly Replamin, Himalayan salt lick on a rope, some Zinpro 1/4 teaspoon sprinkled on their feed daily (we were having some flakey skin issues that are clearing up since using this) and copper boluses as needed (usually ever 3-6 months) and a small sprinkling of BOSS with their feed.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the Redmond rock prehistoric sea salt rocks contain the same nutrients.
The Himalayan salt is mountain mined salt and contains different nutrients.
The Redmond rock is available at TSC also the loose form called Red Edge that has added copper,zinc, and selenium.
Thank you! I'll have to look for that at my TSC.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,279 Posts
High quality salt licks will do just fine instead of kelp. I don't use kelp for minerals, I use it for calcium -- this is why I still offer it.

I know that @mariarose likes varied salt licks; I, personally, like the Redmond Goat Mineral salt, as it is fortified with minerals just like the ones you would find in kelp. However getting a few different licks is fine as well.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
High quality salt licks will do just fine instead of kelp. I don't use kelp for minerals, I use it for calcium -- this is why I still offer it.

I know that @mariarose likes varied salt licks; I, personally, like the Redmond Goat Mineral salt, as it is fortified with minerals just like the ones you would find in kelp. However getting a few different licks is fine as well.
Thank you!

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
May I suggest buying 1 more bag of the kelp and keeping notes on your herd's condition as you feed it, and then when you make the switch to something else, making notes on the consequences? This organized method will give you so much information to go forward with... Not least of which would be breeding decisions...

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
May I suggest buying 1 more bag of the kelp and keeping notes on your herd's condition as you feed it, and then when you make the switch to something else, making notes on the consequences? This organized method will give you so much information to go forward with... Not least of which would be breeding decisions...
Yes, I will try that, that's a very good idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts