Other Two Beating Up on My Pregnant Doe!

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by dldolan, Feb 12, 2020.

1. dldolan

dldolan Member

Jan 19, 2017
    North Bay, California
    Good Morning,
    I purchased a new Nubian in Early December, who was already pregnant, due Valentine's Day! Also arriving with her was a young buck, so my two girls, Lola, a 4-year old Boer with horns, and Ivy, a 2.5 year old Nubian, were busy with him, although Ivy seemed to be making friends with the new girl, Hibiscus.

Two weeks ago the billy left, and since the three girls had been together for two months, I didn't worry about it. Lola has always tried to butt Hibiscus a bit (and Ivy sometimes), but only if I was around and my affection or my giving of food were in the picture. She lays near them in the sun, but has the lowest pecking order spot, which I would expect.

Hibiscus is showing early signs of labor since Saturday, and I noticed Lola being a bit more aggressive, but they have two pastures with the gate open and can easily get away from each other. However yesterday both my original girls were ganging up on Hibiscus, even Iivy the Nubian, who was doing serious head-butting with Hibiscus, while Lola was ramming her in the side! Holy cow! I don't want to lose babies this close!! I separated them, for the rest of the day, although they can see each other through the chain link fence. (At night I put Hibiscus in her birthing stall, as I've been doing all week, and let the other two in the rest of the barn.)

What is going on? This is more than just jealousy. I'm sure Hibiscus is exuding mama hormones at this point, and is walking around with her tail up, udder swelling. Both the other two are now pregnant, and this will be the third freshening for Lola, second for Ivy, both good moms.
    Thoughts? This is distressing! I can keep putting Ivy and Lola into the other side of the pasture, but that is not a long-term solution...

Thanks for anyone who can shed some light on this!

2. SandyNubians

SandyNubians Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2017
    Idaho
    Hmm, I'm not 100% sure, but I think you are probably right with the hormones. My pregnant does also try to move up in the herd to make sure the kids aren't on the bottom of the pecking order. So perhaps she was trying to move up higher than ivy and then Lola came over and they both ganged up on her. Just a thought.

Either way, no matter what happened If it was me, I would separate them until hibiscus kids and even another 1-2 weeks after that so the kids can get into their legs and run away if needed. Poor girl is so close to kidding and all that stress is definitely not good for her or the kids.

3. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Sorry I don't have any good suggestions for you. The herd hierarchy has been disrupted by the departure of the buck, and as you noted, hormones are raging high with three pregnant does. Keep them separated and safe until the kids are a couple weeks old and fast on their feet, then reintroduce them in a large open space (preferably free ranging outside their normal shelters & pens). They really can be brutal and frustrating at times!

4. dldolan

dldolan Member

Jan 19, 2017
    North Bay, California
    I can easily keep them safe & separated (and they can see each other--which I like as then they aren't unfamiliar with Hibiscus & the babies) for the next three weeks, so will do that. Maybe by then my other two will have calmed down! Argh!

MadHouse likes this.
  5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I would separate her, so she does not get hit in the gut and possibly abort.

MadHouse, GoofyGoat and dldolan like this.
  6. dldolan

dldolan Member

Jan 19, 2017
    North Bay, California
    Great, thanks, all. She's been separated since 4pm yesterday. bag is getting even more full, but no goop today. Seems a bit stressed, but whether it's being on the other side of the fence from the two, who she is calling to, or with early labor, I can't tell. She stays right by me when I'm in her paddock. Fingers crossed that Lola didn't do any damage before I separated her. Seems like the babies are moving around. She came with an ultrasound, so I know there are two , maybe three kids in there, even though she isn't as big as my other Nubian was with just two, and certainly not huge like my Boer gets! Anyway, thanks so much. It also never dawned on me that she might try to move up the herd order in her condition!

MadHouse likes this.
  7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    No problem, keep an eye on her.

I don't know if you have a docile doe who will not be mean to her or a well trained LGD to keep her company.
    She may be stressed from being alone.

MadHouse and GoofyGoat like this.
  8. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    How's your doe doing?

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  10. dldolan

dldolan Member

Jan 19, 2017
    North Bay, California
    Walked away for a business phone call and one to the grand kids and bam! Three on the ground when I went back down!
    Loud Holstein colored little dude on both side. Is there a color name for this? IMG_20200217_154832__01__01.jpg IMG_20200217_135008.jpg

Handy Girl likes this.
  11. dldolan

dldolan Member

Jan 19, 2017
    North Bay, California
    Black with white trim female
    IMG_20200217_134247__01.jpg IMG_20200217_154835__01.jpg

12. dldolan

dldolan Member

Jan 19, 2017
    North Bay, California
    IMG_20200217_135840__01.jpg IMG_20200217_154910__01.jpg AND Moon-spotted female as well! Three!

13. dldolan

dldolan Member

Jan 19, 2017
    North Bay, California
    So today was a good day! Three days later than I thought, but I guess these things can't be rushed. Mama is doing great, feeding all three patiently, drank her gallon of molasses/electrolyte/vitamin water. Has been eating the entire time! As as for Lola and Ivy, they are in the pasture next door! They can see the babies but no getting close for awhile!

14. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Aw, they're adorable! Congratulations!

dldolan likes this.
  15. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas
    Gorgeous babies! Would you post a picture of Momma? I like to see the contrast!

dldolan likes this.
  16. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
  17. dldolan

dldolan Member

Jan 19, 2017
    North Bay, California
    Here's the mom: Reg #N1992125, if anyone wants to know. :) IMG_20200217_132411.jpg
    IMG_20200216_154430.jpg

18. dldolan

dldolan Member

Jan 19, 2017
    North Bay, California
  19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    So cute, congrats, glad it all went well. :)

dldolan likes this.
  20. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas
    Oh! They are all gorgeous! No wonder you got such beautiful babies!! CONGRATULATIONS!!

dldolan likes this.