Our Beloved Daisy, Gordon Setter

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by laststraw, Feb 17, 2008.

1. laststraw

laststraw New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    New Mexico
    We have been battling an undiagnosed disease in our Gordon Setter, Daisy, for months and finally lost the battle on Jan 26, 2008. Daisy was "head goat" and, as surprising as it may seem for a bird-dog, she was the best goat-herd you could have wished for. We are just now beginning to talk about getting another puppy as our GSD, Oscar, turns 7 in March and we need a dog-in-training to watch over the goats and the house in time for Oscar to "retire."

The email I wrote to family and friends the day we lost our beloved Daisy:
    After a long (3+ year) bout with a tick-borne illness, Daisy crashed last night and we had her put to sleep this morning. For those of you who knew her, I don't need to tell you what a special and incredible dog she was. She was the pinnacle of "bird dog," taking field turn commands at over half a mile off and having such a gentle mouth as to let a live quail fly from her jaws. In addition, she had intuition and sensitivity that was unmatched, raising Oscar and the kittens and the goats, laying with me after surgery or just knowing when you're sick or feeling blue. I miss her terribly. She was our first "child."

Doc was gracious enough to come out to the truck to put her down so that she was in our arms in familiar surroundings. She rode in the truck nearly every day to go run out on the mesa. She went yesterday for the last time, but did not run - just walked along at DH's heels. I was up with her all last night and she could not stand this morning. She was loved as much as she loved. We buried her beneath the willows out at the west edge of the vineyard; she is wearing her Scottish scarf of the Clan Gordon tartan and her head is cushioned by DH's Gordon Setter of NM Club shirt. I tucked her in for the last time in a Scottish wool blanket to keep her warm.

Thank you all for your well-wishes over the last six or so months as we have dealt with the worst of this illness. Daisy had a full life including hiking the Shenandoah, Gila and Monzanos. Your thoughts, prayers and words have meant the world to me. Thank you for the love, and the understanding.

(Click to see larger images)
    Daisy as a pup in 1997
    [​IMG]

Her favorite thing besides laying in the yard with her goats: running free chasing birds or jackrabbits on the mesa.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was late in life: Daisy making wine with us - it might not be the most sanitary, but she would lick my legs after stomp as I ran to get in the shower. She used to poach grapes off the vine, too, if you weren't looking...
    [​IMG]

Her classic, intent, loving look:
    [​IMG]

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I'm so sorry you lost her, she was a beautiful dog. :hug:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh what a special dog! :hugs:

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My heart goes out to you and your family :grouphug: To know the un ending love and gratitude of a special fur-baby was a gift to you from Daisy and she certainly was a very pretty girl. God Bless you for ending her pain :angel:

5. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Lots of hugs to you and your family :grouphug: I am so sorry, but she is in a better place. She is an :angel: now

6. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    I am so sorry for you loss, but you did the right thing and she is in a better place now. :hug: She sounded like an incredible dog. :angel:

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    My heart goes out to you and your family. She sure sounds like one of the best dogs. She is running now again in the beautiful heaven above.

8. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    That beautiful tribute to Daisy brought tears to my eyes- there is no amount of time with such a fine dog that can be considered enough. You have my heartfelt sympathy. I too have had the good fortune to have had a totally wonderful dog as a compainion- I lost her years ago but she is still with me- I think of her often.

9. Rachel K

Rachel K New Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Dyersville, Iowa
    She sounded like a truely amazing dog. :grouphug:

10. laststraw

laststraw New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    New Mexico
    Thank you, everyone - it has been a very difficult time for us. We were looking into getting another pup before Daisy became so ill, but now we may end up with two for one... when it rains! I'll post more under "other critters" once we finalize plans.

11. lacy_94

lacy_94 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    North Fla
    sorry for your loss