The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Dixie kidded yesterday afternoon with twin bucks. The first buckling born was normal and healthy and is doing well. The second buckling born passed away today at 3 pm. He was born with a major defect and we knew he would not survive for long. We were told he would be dead within hours but he lived for over 24 hours. It was the saddest thing to just let him lie there and die like that. We are at this time going to have a necroscopy done to find out why? Something is wrong as this is not the first kid we have lost lately. We had never lost a kid for 3 years of breeding and now this last year since moving to SC we have lost 6 kids.
We can’t do this anymore and are thinking of selling off our herd with the exception of keeping a couple for pets. My daughters and I used to love kiddings and now we are so fearful of losing those babies. My daughters don’t even want to be there anymore when does are delivering. And this is why we were doing it, to do it together and now it is just no fun and is tearing us apart every time we lose a sweet baby.
First we are probably going to sell off the bucks, we were even intending to bring in a new buck in December, but I am not so sure now if we will as he will just be sold right off anyway. That wouldn't be fair to him. Then after our does have kidded we will probably sell most of them but keep a couple of the "special" girls as pets and companions. So if anyone is interested let me know this Spring. But they will go to "good" homes only. It will be hard enough parting with them so the least I can do is find them great loving homes to go to.
Well thanks for listening, and right now I don’t know what else to say or do. I need some answers as to why this is happening or we will no longer be breeding our does in the future. It is just to hard to deal with anymore.
Tina

· Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you everyone for the kind words and support. At this time we are still feeling like we just can't do this anymore as it is just too heart wrenching. Maybe time or answers will make us feel different down the road. But we did this for the joy of those kiddings and they are not enjoyable anymore. We did expect the occasional mortality, but not like this.
We have ruled out genetics as they were sired by different bucks. We have had blood screenings on our does and came up with nothing out of the ordinary, all does and bucks came buck healthy with no diseases, bacterial or viral infections. We have browsed through our pasture looking for some type of poisonious/toxic plants, so far we have found nothing that is consumed enough to cause this, but our wooded pasture is so large we could be missing something I guess. We are having people come out to test our water & soil next, this is our first full year here in SC and we have well water whereas back in PA we were on the city water line. Our vet has looked into our feeding/mineral/feeding program and has so far found nothing to be deficient. We just can't figure it out. Hopefully the necroscopy turns up a clue or answer for us this time.
As for this buckling born with a defect, he had no tail or anus, and only one eye. Seemed lifeless and never stood and was very weakly. This is the first deformity we had. He was expected to die within the first few hours, had no colostrum at all. Our vet said just let him pass away on his own as he can not survive. Well he did and had to be euthanized the next day after living for 26 hours on his own. He was a little fighter, and this just made it all the worse on us each hour he fought for his life. The other four were stillborn (2 had detatched cords at birth) (2 were delivered by C-section and were mummified) and 1 just did not thrive from birth and died at 5 weeks old. But all seemed healthy and normal physically otherwise.
My vet and others have suggested just a bit of bad luck, bad season for kidding, the change in environment because of moving from the Northeast to the Southeast last year. Well we are hopiong that is all that it is but from going to Zero deaths in 3 years to six death in 1 year something has to be going on IMO. And now to have them coming out deformed is just down right scares the heck out of us. And is just to much for my daughters to have to experience. This just down right SUCKS!
I am going to enclose a picture of both kids after I downsize them and I will place them in the picture section of this forum...
Thanks again everyone, I am taking in any suggestions, comments, and opinions anyone has. I need answers, oh do I need answers if I am to continue this. I have all my does due for Spring kids and I am scared to death of want might happen with them. If it is something that can be stopped now, the sooner the better. We are trying everything we can think of right now and taking all the help we can get. I do hope this was just a bad spell of luck we had!!!
Thanks,
Tina

· Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all your thoughts, stories and kind words, I have found them to be very helpful. We are not throwing in the towel just yet, we do have most all of our girls bred for Spring kids. I am just praying it is a better year.
I just wanted to update you that I did get the necroscopy back on the buck that was born deformed and it showed nothing that could really be linked to as the cause. Of course it did show some intestinal abnormalities but we expected that with being born with no "anus" it is actually called atresia ani and is usually a genetic disorder. All chemical compounds and mineral levels were within range. Nothing out of the ordinary to put up a red flag. The cause of death was the euthanization drug and starvation. Which we already knew. So we are really no closer to finding an answer if there even is one to find. None of the deaths can be linked together in anyway. We are back to good ole "BAD LUCK".
I do agree that it could be something nutritional, as we have had a drastic change in hay quality since leaving PA. Back in PA we were spoiled by rich green hay, and here in SC the hay looks more like straw. We have even resorted to having it shipped down from NY by the truck loads this past month because we have not found anything we are happy with. It has been a dry year down here, worst in over 25 years they are saying. And our normal grain we supplied back to them up North is not available down here so we have changed that also. So that could be a link I guess.
Anyway we are working hard to overcome our losses and trying everything we can to prevent it from happening again. Of course we will lose a goat on occasion but hopefully; our bad year is now behind us and the does system has had a chance to adjust to the environmental changes of North to South.
Well see come this Spring! BTW the one lone buckling (wether to be) is thriving and quite full of life!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.