The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Born Again Goat Fetishist!
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BuddysDad is a bigtime crabber, and as he was getting ready to start building a hay bin/feeder for Buddy, he saw an old (heavily used) crab trap that has long been replaced. It needs to be cleaned up a bit but, it's udderly ( :lol: ) perfect.

He removed the (3) 9"x4" trap doors, mounted it onto the wall, and that was it. We lift the top of the trap to add some hay (the trap holds 2 full flakes), and Buddy can easily pull the hay out from anywhere.

The larger, 9x4 holes are beneath the trap, and one on each side. The smaller holes are all 3"x3", and Buddy has no problems pulling the hay through them.

Not bad for an old, $19.95 Wal*Mart crab trap, huh? :shades:

Attachments

·
Registered
30,219 Posts
Perfect!!!!

·
I'm watching you
22,213 Posts
Oh, this gives me an idea. Crab traps are on sale for $14.99 at BiMart this week... Thanks!

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks, everyone, and you're very welcome, goathiker! :wave:

It's cheap, easy, and it works!

My hubby said to just make sure that the trap is fastened securely (Buddy's tested it by butting it, lol), and you're good to go.

It's very convenient. If it needs to be moved, you can just unscrew it, and remount it anywhere.

Easy Peasy! :D

Edited to Add: I made a mistake (in my original post), when I said that it holds 2 full flakes. It actually will hold between 3 and 4 flakes of hay. BuddysDad has 2 flakes in ours right now.

·
Registered
159 Posts
What an excellent idea!!! Thank you for sharing.

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What a cool idea! Cheap and easy...sadly my Wal-Mart doesn't sell crab traps, I guess we're too far from the ocean lol.
Hahaha.. yeah. Being closer to the ocean (or, even a bay) would help you out with those traps, CTG. :lol:

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
OP, thanks for posting this. I was just going to buy a new hay feeder but your idea would work much better for my shelters and my budget.

My local walmart doesn't carry them either but you can go online and order them using store to store delivery for free. Also you can get free shipping on orders over $50. I just ordered 3!

Thanks again OP!

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
It's so perfect. We currently have a flake of hay, and a flake of alfalfa in Buddy's trap, and he just loves it. It's super easy. Just lift the top, toss in your hay, and you're all set! :D

Buddy'sDad said "I've got so much stuff to do around here, that I didn't have the time to make a hay feeder; I saw my old trap in the garbage, looked at it, and said "why not this?"

So, that's how an old, heavily used crap trap became a brand new hay feeder. :lol:

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
What an idea. Also thanks for the idea of ordering them on line cause I am sure my store don't have them. Have to order me a couple. They sure are cheaper than the feeders.

·
Registered
415 Posts
What a fantastic idea!
I'm within sight of a salt water bay so I think my local WalMart might have them - it's just not a department that I normally visit. *makes a note*

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You're all VERY welcome! We're happy to help, and share! :wave:

And yes, yes! It's easy, and cheap. It's great for those who have a tighter budget to work with.

We priced hay feeders around here, and the cheapest one we found, was $80.00.

You could buy four of those traps for $80.00, and they work just as well as a "genuine" hay feeder.

Happy Sunday, everyone! :leap:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts