Our doe lost her voice - almost

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Goat_Scout, May 3, 2017.

1. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Active Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    Yes, it's Annie again. :?
    She is a 15 month old purebred Alpine doe. A few mornings ago when she would maaaaaa at us while doing chores (as all the goats do), her maa (unlike the other goats') was very weak and pitiful. Sometimes she would open her mouth and nothing would come out. This is the first time this has happened.
    She sounded like some of our calves did after we would separate them from their mamas and only let them nurse twice a day - they would get a sore throat, and they could barely moo.
    I don't know what's the matter with her. As of this morning, she is still the same. :sigh: Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

2. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Does she have a fever? Acting off? Maybe she had a heat cycle and yelled all night!

3. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Active Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    Alpines are seasonal breeders, but I know that sometimes they can still cycle and be bred out of season. I don't have a thermometer at the moment.... I need to get one. She isn't acting any different as far as I can tell.

We have two bucklings in with everyone right now, so hopefully it isn't that she went into heat. Annie is way thinner then I would like her to be right now, and being pregnant wouldn't help any. A few days ago I saw the older of the two bucklings (one is 2 months old and the other is 7 months) chasing one of the does around, but of course I don't remember who it was. :sad: The younger buckling (Benji) is always bothering the does, but Cap almost never does.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  4. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    NC
    You need to separate the 7 month old buckling from the does. I'd separate the 2 month old in a few weeks as well.

Goat_Scout likes this.
  5. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Active Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    Sorry it took so long to respond, I totally forgot about this thread!

Annie probably had just had an overnight heat or something, because after a few days she got her voice back! :7up:

6. Madgoat

Madgoat Well-Known Member

That's good, but unless you want your does bred, you still need to separate your does from the bucks.

7. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Active Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    They've since been separated. ;)