The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a wonderful Linear appraisal!
For anyone considering LA, I highly recommend it! It is a wonderful learning tool and it worth the time, effort, and cost. It went very smoothly, our appraiser seemed to appreciate having the does brought up on a milkstand for the initial tattoo reading and for some of the measurements :)

This was our first year participating in LA, and we hope to have our herd appraised yearly from here on out.

While we are always evaluating our own goats, I really appreciate being able to have an appraiser confirm what we are seeing in our goats!

I am so proud of my "Golden Girls"!

L to R
Wings & Caprines IR Red Hot 2*M V+VV 87 @ 2-05
Wings & Caprines SunnyDay CLVR VEVV 88 @ 3-06
JNR Homestead Ruth 1*M VEEV 89 @ 6-03
Wings & Caprines CarolinaGirl VEVE 90 @ 3-06
Wings & Caprines Carolina, Clover, Red Hot, Ruth 2.JPG
Wings & Caprines Carolina, Clover, Red Hot, Ruth.JPG

Wings & Capirnes CarolinaGirl VEVE 90 rear udder.JPG

Wings & Caprines Foxy Lady VVVV 86 @ 3-06
Peaceful Thoughts Lucy VVV+ 86 @5-03 (Couldn't get any pics of this doe, she was unhappy and a bit "stale")
(Foxy Read udder) I am pleased with Foxy's score as she is still under conditioned from a late kidding this year.
IMG_3566.JPG

*B CUATLILREDBARN Kiegh VVE 87 AS A YEARLING!
Kiegh:
Kiegh (1).JPG

One Fine Acre FR Isaac VEV 87 @ 3-04
Isaac.JPG

Wings & Caprines SCG Raleigh- Raleigh JUST turned one year old last month. He still scored +V+ 84. He is a handsome little buck and I think he will mature very nicely! I really don't have any use for this buck....he's related to my entire herd! But being the son of CarolinaGirl I couldn't wether him and send him for meat, he's jut too nice!
Wings & Caprines CarolinaGirl Buck  (4) - Copy.JPG

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Beautiful goats! Can someone explain linear appraisal to me?
"The ADGA linear appraisal system evaluates individual type traits that affect structural and functional durability in order to take full advantage of the potential for genetic improvement through selection. ADGA's linear system:

• Evaluates each animal & trait individually
  • Evaluates each trait from one observed biological extreme to the other
  • Includes traits that have economic importance and are at a minimum, moderately heritable
  • Applied uniformly
The linear appraisal system includes 13 primary traits, one secondary trait, a research trait as well as structural categories scored by the appraiser to evaluate functional conformation on mature does and bucks. An optional youngstock program is also available.

Producers have the information to make a more accurate selection of breeding stock than ever before. Because of this, the responsibility and the opportunity for breed improvement are directly upon breeders.

The seedstock breeder, hobbyist & the commercial producer can all benefit from selecting stock based on fact; not just guesswork as the "eye" sees it."

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,481 Posts
Congrats! Great scores and beautiful goats! We are doing LA next year for the first time, on our standards. I can't wait. I love it as a helpful tool in evaluating. I wish I could use it for our minis!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congrats! Great scores and beautiful goats! We are doing LA next year for the first time, on our standards. I can't wait. I love it as a helpful tool in evaluating. I wish I could use it for our minis!
Hopefully in the coming years a tool like this will become available for the minis, but in the meantime you can still apply the same knowledge towards your minis :) LA is a wonderful tool, you will love it!!!

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Beautiful goats! Can someone explain linear appraisal to me?
Yes, please! Since "LA" seems not to mean Los Angeles!
"The ADGA linear appraisal system evaluates ...
The seedstock breeder, hobbyist & the commercial producer can all benefit from selecting stock based on fact; not just guesswork as the "eye" sees it."
Aha, thanks! I get a good idea of what it is. So someone comes home to you and "measures" your goats?

(What I think of this will certainly belong to another thread ...)

·
Registered
257 Posts
How do you sign up for LA? I only have 1 doe that I could appraise in 2020 if I wanted to, but it is something I'm interested in. If I don't in 2020 I would like to in the future. There is a minimum number of goats that you have to have isn't there? I saw something about host farms too. Is there a place where you can see who and where host farms are?

·
Registered
431 Posts
How do you sign up for LA? I only have 1 doe that I could appraise in 2020 if I wanted to, but it is something I'm interested in. If I don't in 2020 I would like to in the future. There is a minimum number of goats that you have to have isn't there? I saw something about host farms too. Is there a place where you can see who and where host farms are?
Yes, you can look on the ADGA website and they have a list of host herds in each state. You contact them and ask if they'll let you bring your doe. Then once you have a host herd, you fill out the ADGA linear appraisal application for that year and send it in with the proper fees. As it gets closer, they'll tell you the date and time of the appraisal. If you do not use a host herd, the minimum is 16 adult animals.

·
Registered
257 Posts
As someone who hosted, be prepared for showing disease testing for your doe. Biosecurity is very important to most serious breeders. Also know that ADGA will ask for date preferences, but they assign the date - if you can't make it you still have to pay for the appraisal.
Thank you. I haven't tested before but that is something that I want to do in 2020. What diseases do they want tested for? I was planning on testing for CAE and Johnes. What are the minimum ages for those tests?

·
Registered
431 Posts
As someone who hosted, be prepared for showing disease testing for your doe. Biosecurity is very important to most serious breeders. Also know that ADGA will ask for date preferences, but they assign the date - if you can't make it you still have to pay for the appraisal.
Yes, absolutely!! I was going to add that, but had to run.
Thank you. I haven't tested before but that is something that I want to do in 2020. What diseases do they want tested for? I was planning on testing for CAE and Johnes. What are the minimum ages for those tests?
I'm pretty sure 6 months is the minimum, but only senior does in milk and senior bucks over one year can be appraised next year as the young stock program continues to be suspended so that won't be a problem, but you need to test for CL as well as CAE & Johnes. When I tested my does, I got them all done on the same test.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts