The Goat Spot Forum banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Pictures. More pictures...please
I have taken so many pictures the last few days, my phone may explode. We are having a lot of fun with them. They are like little dogs.The plan was to put them out in the back field where the barn is, but we're becoming so fond of them we are contemplating just letting them stay in the backyard (with an upgraded set-up). Maybe I'll just have to get some big stinky bucks for the back field...haha.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
How are Hazel, Laurel, and Olive doing?
They're doing great, I think! Having the vet come out this morning just to look them over. I don't want to miss anything because I'm new and it's probably not a bad idea to establish a relationship with her in case we ever have an emergency. Decided that they were tame enough to let them loose in "big" yard yesterday and it was so much fun watching them explore. The bush hogger is coming to work on the back field the next time we have a break in the rain, and then I will probably start letting them spend time in the pasture. They'll have more shade back there so I want to get them moved before it gets too hot here (unless we make a new set-up in the backyard--still contemplating that). And, I should probably work on getting them used to a collar/lead and the milk stand.

They think they are chickens...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Thanks everyone! I think we are hooked on goats. They have so much personality. Even my husband who is not the animal nut that I am, thinks they're a lot of fun. The vet came out this morning and seems very knowledegable, went over FAMACHA and a few other things with me. The fecal on the youngest, Laurel, came back positive for coccidiossis :( so she wants us to treat with corid for a few days. Hazel had loose stools for a day or two (all 3 are normal now) so I had been wondering about coccidiossis. She recommends buying a loose mineral that I can only get at a feedstore about an hour away near Sweetwater. She says she tends to have good results with that supplement and doesn't have to give copper or selenium boluses, so guess we'll go on a road trip...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Just curious, what is this recommended mineral called?

Coccidia is very, very common in young goats. Corid worked for me when my does were little.
I asked her what brand it was (kind of hoping it was what we already had), and she said it's just called "High Copper Goat Mineral" and it's at the East TN Feed and Seed. She said it's kind of pricey and would probably be even more expensive if the chain feedstores started selling it. 🤷‍♂️ The feedstore has a FB page but I haven't found a website--though I haven't spent too much time looking yet. I'll take a picture of the bag when (if?) we get it and post it here if anyone is interested. I'd like to compare it to the Sweetlix that we have now. There's a cave tour up that way that I wouldn't mind taking my kids to, so we'll make a day trip out of it. She said with only 3 doelings a 50lb bag should last a year or so.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts