The Goat Spot Forum banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I think the stress of moving makes the coccidia bloom in a lot of these little ones, mine included. I’m just so glad you have a knowledgeable goat vet and bonus, she’ll come to your home. We haven’t met the only one around here yet, and he doesn’t do farm calls. Ive heard mixed reviews and am really nervous about the first time I’ll need him.

I’m curious about the mineral suggested. I’ll have to look it up and compare it to mine. Though it’s an even farther for me. I think Sweetwater is about 4.5 hours from me. What cave system are you all going to visit?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
I think the stress of moving makes the coccidia bloom in a lot of these little ones, mine included. I’m just so glad you have a knowledgeable goat vet and bonus, she’ll come to your home. We haven’t met the only one around here yet, and he doesn’t do farm calls. Ive heard mixed reviews and am really nervous about the first time I’ll need him.

I’m curious about the mineral suggested. I’ll have to look it up and compare it to mine. Though it’s an even farther for me. I think Sweetwater is about 4.5 hours from me. What cave system are you all going to visit?
I'll drive out and take some pics of the nutrition info/ingredients and post it here even if I don't buy any. Or perhaps, I'll message the feed store tomorrow and see how helpful they are. Maybe they can tell me more.

The Lost Sea/Craigshead Caverns (https://unusualplaces.org/lost-sea-tennessee/). Apparently you can take a boat ride on an underground lake. I think my kids would love it, and we've never been. Stopping at a feedstore along the way would give us a great excuse to go.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
So, I'm a little concerned. One doeling, Hazel, had loose (clumpy) stools for a few days right after I got her home, but that had seemed to resolve (they were back to pellets before I started Corid). I just finished day 5 of the corid prescribed by the vet, and the loose stools are back and seem slightly worse than before. I'm giving them electrolyte and probiotic paste again. Should I have another fecal done? I have SulfaMed (sulfadimethoxine) should I try treating with that? They're eating and drinking and seem active.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Oh gosh, I’m sorry to hear that. I don’t know anything but hopefully someone can help. I would think maybe the Corid can mess with the system a bit, so maybe after a few days it’ll be fine, especially since you’re giving probiotics already which should help. If you’re finished with the corid, do you have any fortified vit b complex gel? I’ve heard that can help since that med can mess with the natural thiamin process. Not sure if that could have anything to do with the loose stools. I’d wait 10 days or so after treatment to get another fecal analysis done.

Poor Hazel. Poor you. I hope someone who knows what they’re doing can steer you in the right direction.

·
Registered
The Monkhood
2,891 Posts
Electrolyte and probiotic is absolutely correct. Need to suggest only letting her have hay and browse, no bagged goat feed until her stool firms back up. (Hay and browse only is like bland food) Corid can sometimes cause a little digestive upset in animals. Eating a little too much browse or a different type of browse can sometimes cause digestive upset as well. Having another fecal done 9-10 days after treatment is always a good idea. It will let you know if the treatment is working and how much the counts have decreased. Depending on the results, another 5 day course may be needed. Hold off on using the SufaMed for a couple of days and see if things improve. SulfaMed being an antibiotic could possibly make the digestive issue worse if she is sensitive to it. As FizzyGoats mentioned above, some fortified vit b complex would be a good idea also. Keep with the electrolyte and probiotic until her stool firms back up.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Thanks! I don't have the B vitamin yet, but I will go get some. I had reduced their grain, but I'll stop giving it for a while to see if that helps. (They will NOT be happy with me though, lol). I was wondering if Corid could cause diarrhea...I tried googling/searching for side effects, but didn't have much luck.

·
Registered
The Monkhood
2,891 Posts
Just Hazel needs to be restricted from bagged feed, not all 3 of them. If they are fed as a group, maybe giving Hazel some nice pets and scratches, or some grooming if she enjoys being brushed, (something pleasant to distract her) in another area as far away as possible, while the other 2 eat.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Their stools looked better this morning when I cleaned out their bedding. I'm not 100% sure who had (has) the diarrhea as I found it when I was cleaning their bedding in the morning. It was either Hazel or Laurel or both, as there are always pellets in the place where Olive sleeps. I work all weekend (work nights, sleep during the days), but I'm home M-T and most of the day on Friday so I'll be around a lot more over the next few days to observe them.

I have tickets for the cave in Sweetwater on Thursday, so we'll stop by the feedstore on the way and pick up/take pictures of the minerals the vet likes.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Well, went on a daytrip to sweetwater and the caves today and dropped by the feedstore on the way home. Here's a picture of the minerals that the veterinarian wants us to use. The copper level is quite a bit higher than the Sweetlix (3500 vs. 1810) but the Selenium is lower (35 vs 50), and the Calcium to Phosphorus ratio isn't 2:1. I don't know if I am going to use it or not. 🤔

http://www.wickslivestocknutrition.com/minerals.html

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
As you know, I have no expertise to offer on the minerals. I would assume high copper would be good for goats. I’ve actually been looking at adding a high copper mineral in a separate container to see if they want/need it (still keeping their other mineral and kelp out free choice as well). I know it has more of the short acting copper but I also know I have a lot of copper absorption antagonists here, so maybe it would still help. I’m still clueless and have a lot of research to do.

Hopefully someone with mineral wisdom will chime in for you.

I’m glad you had fun on your day trip. Was it scary to leave your goats all day? I haven’t been able to do it yet. About 3 hours has been my max time away so far. I live in the middle of the woods though and am very worried about predators.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I'm a bit concerned that I don't see salt on the label. Salt is what regulates the amount the goats intake. Do you know if the label has instructions for mixing salt into it?
Hmm, no the instrucitons don't mention mixing in salt that I can see. Here's the other half of the label. Looks like there are a few threads on the forum about Wick's Livestock Minerals....discussions about adding lime/alfalpha and other things to increase calcium. Not real sure what I'm going to do yet.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I’m glad you had fun on your day trip. Was it scary to leave your goats all day? I haven’t been able to do it yet. About 3 hours has been my max time away so far. I live in the middle of the woods though and am very worried about predators.
We were only gone from around 9:30-4:00, and they're still in our backyard, so I wasn't too worried. I'll be more worried when/if we put them in the pasture, especially during the night as our barn is open.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts