The Goat Spot Forum banner
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
Hmm... I'm a bit confused about the ounces they are supposed to consume in a day. 馃 It seems like a lot.

So, Sweetlix for example says that goats should consume 0.3-0.5 ounces per day, and that one says 2 ounces? That's so much more. If you were going to try it, I'd put out a plain salt lick too in order to balance their consumption.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Hmm... I'm a bit confused about the ounces they are supposed to consume in a day. 馃 It seems like a lot.

So, Sweetlix for example says that goats should consume 0.3-0.5 ounces per day, and that one says 2 ounces? That's so much more. If you were going to try it, I'd put out a plain salt lick too in order to balance their consumption.
Yeah, I don't know. The label says it can be give to cows and horses also, so maybe the amount is higher to accomade the larger animals? I haven't put any out for them yet. I suppose it would probably mess up the mineral ratios if I just put out two feeders and supplied both sweetlix and this one....

Registered
Oh man, you went so far to get it. Maybe talk to your vet some more and ask her more specifics of why she recommends it over others, even specifically over the sweetlix. I鈥檇 jot down your questions about the salt and such too because if you鈥檙e like me, your mind will go blank after she answers your first question even though you have a dozen more.

Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
Oh man, you went so far to get it. Maybe talk to your vet some more and ask her more specifics of why she recommends it over others, even specifically over the sweetlix. I鈥檇 jot down your questions about the salt and such too because if you鈥檙e like me, your mind will go blank after she answers your first question even though you have a dozen more.
Yeah, that's a good idea. See what the vet says specifically.

If it was me, I might give it a shot, but since your goats are growing and you are a beginner, you may not want to deal with the hassle and confusion mineral problems can cause. I certainly can't recommend you try it, but it might be what I would do. 馃槈

Registered
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
We're doing good! Thanks for checking in. I'm still on the site at least twice a day, but haven't been posting much. We love having the goatie girls...they are so sweet. I've trimmed hooves and collected fecals....so feeling a little more like a real goat owner, haha. I bought a new "goat shelter" on FB marketplace to keep them in the backyard at night instead of keeping them out in the big barn. We decided it's fun to have them closer, and I feel like they are safer near the house. So, during the day I left them out in the big field we fenced for them and at night bring them back in the yard.

I need to get some better pictures...but here are some recent ones.

Plant Working animal Fawn Terrestrial animal Grass

Plant Eye Goat Grass Horn

Dog Plant Ecoregion Sky Carnivore

Plant Sky Dog Tree Dog breed

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Happy looking goats on all that wide open grazing space. 馃槂 They sure look like they've grown.

Thanks for the update!
They are not doing a good job with the blackberry bushes under the trees that they were supposed to tame! Lol! They never even walk back there unless they are following me. Oh well! 馃ぃ

Registered
They are so adorable. So glad to see their little goatie faces again. They definitely look bigger. Such a pretty place they get to call home.

And I have found they never eat what they are supposed to eat. But will devour something they shouldn鈥檛 eat.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts