The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2 ND backyard milkers
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our does are due in April, and for over a year I've read and watched videos on this topic. One thing I can't understand is the assistance part.

How absolutely necessary is it to help the kid by pulling it out if all is well? I don't mean if the labor is long, the doe is in distress, if the kid is in the wrong position, etc., but if all is going as it should, what is the point of pulling the kid out and not just letting it happen? Our vet said I don't need to and the likelihood is that I'll wake up, come out to feed them, and new babies are in the shed lol. (She made recommendations and gave other advice).

Can anyone tell me why so many people pull the kids out when everything is going fine?

· Registered
2,126 Posts
Most people don’t assist when everything is going fine. I unfortunately see more negative outcomes from people waiting too long than people helping too early.

If nothing is wrong, you can leave her be.

If your gut says something is wrong, there are no negative consequences to assisting.

· Fair-Haven
6,171 Posts
I will time the doe from the first strong push. If nothing happens within 30minutes I go in period. I do sit in the barn a lot and monitor kiddings. Even if baby is born without assistance you want to make sure air passages are clean, baby is dried off, they will stand and nurse, dip cords etc. you want a warm dry baby and a mom that will-let it nurse. You may need to express the teat plug to get things going.

· Registered
Raising Nigerian Dwarf goats as backyard milkers.
3,378 Posts
I think what you might mean is that some people “help” the doe by having their hands on the kids as they are coming out? I think people do it just because it’s exciting and want to help catch the kids. I don’t think they really pull at all unless the doe absolutely needs help.

· Registered
4,458 Posts
Last year was the first year I’ve had to enter a doe to assist. I did wait too long… poor doe was very tired. She’d basically given up on pushing at all. First baby boy was breached. He was not coming out with being maneuvered. Thankfully we were able to shepherd sling him and he survived. 2nd doeling came out fine… little boy was dripping temp so I ended up having to take him to the house to warm up and while getting him settled I lost a 3rd kid. I’m sure she would have been fine if mom hadn’t been so worn out… and if I’d been there to help instead of going back to take care of the boy 😢

· Registered
192 Posts
I think what you might mean is that some people “help” the doe by having their hands on the kids as they are coming out? I think people do it just because it’s exciting and want to help catch the kids. I don’t think they really pull at all unless the doe absolutely needs help.
Yes, I think what OP means is that some people (myself included) guide or put hands on the kid as the doe is pushing it out. I don’t pull I just have my hands on the kid to help guide it out and put it in front of mom immediately. I do swipe my finger in the kids mouth and clear and fluid then straight to mama so she can lick. Sometimes I’ll wipe off the birth fluid with a towel until I hear that first tiny cry then transfer to mama. I have a doe who delivers standing up and as a Nubian it’s a far drop to the floor. So I do keep my hands on the kid as it is coming out so it doesn’t fall far.

I also think people guide kids out as KY Goat Girl said because kidding is a fun season. I’m fascinated by the whole birthing process. I love my does and want to help them and be there for them. Plus, some FF just don’t “get it”. I had one this year who just couldn’t figure out the whole mothering thing. She didn’t know to lick them off (eventually she did but after I got them toweled off), she didn’t know to stand to nurse them (had to show her how). So in that situation, I’m glad I was there as I’m not sure the twins would have survived.

· Registered
Raising Nigerian Dwarf goats as backyard milkers.
3,378 Posts
Yes, I think what OP means is that some people (myself included) guide or put hands on the kid as the doe is pushing it out. I don’t pull I just have my hands on the kid to help guide it out and put it in front of mom immediately. I do swipe my finger in the kids mouth and clear and fluid then straight to mama so she can lick. Sometimes I’ll wipe off the birth fluid with a towel until I hear that first tiny cry then transfer to mama. I have a doe who delivers standing up and as a Nubian it’s a far drop to the floor. So I do keep my hands on the kid as it is coming out so it doesn’t fall far.

I also think people guide kids out as KY Goat Girl said because kidding is a fun season. I’m fascinated by the whole birthing process. I love my does and want to help them and be there for them. Plus, some FF just don’t “get it”. I had one this year who just couldn’t figure out the whole mothering thing. She didn’t know to lick them off (eventually she did but after I got them toweled off), she didn’t know to stand to nurse them (had to show her how). So in that situation, I’m glad I was there as I’m not sure the twins would have survived.
You said it way better than I did! Exactly what I mean

· Registered
29 Posts
I don't do anything to help the actual emergence during the birth unless it becomes necessary. In 12 years, I have had a total of 5 births where I needed to help get a baby out. One was my very first year (of course, lol). The little guy had one arm forward and one arm tucked back alongside him. We called him Clark Kent because he was trying to come out like Superman. :) One baby was stuck with just her head sticking out. She was looking bluish and I was convinced she was dead, but once we maneouverd her out she recovered miraculously and was fine. Two of the births I assisted were stillborn and the last was a baby trying to come out butt first (he was also fine as were all of the mommas).

As soon as they are out, though, I am right there making sure babies get dry as fast as possible and that they get a drink. Clearing out the teat plugs like GoatBlessings said and all the rest of the immediate post-birth care!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts