Our first kidding...

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by The1moe, Jan 11, 2011.

1. The1moe

The1moe New Member

Oct 26, 2010
    I believe we are getting close to this point with a couple of our boer goats... I can definately see and feel a big difference in the tail ligament area... literally nothing or very little there on the two. On both , their udders are starting to fill and teats appear to be getting larger... they are both (at times) seperating themselves from the other three goats. When the time comes, I would like to pen each of the two in their own stalls (8x8) with gates closed so others don't bother them. After they kid, how long should I keep the doe and kid(s) locked up in the stall. Will our buck be OK with the new kids or can he be jealous and dangerous to them, will the mother protect them from him... this is kind of like a love hate relationship... we love that we are going to have the new kids, but not too sure now about the kidding part or if we are up to assisting the does. I have assisted many dogs with deliveries and have never had a problem, so hoping this is along the same line...Getting just a bit nervous about the whole thing...

2. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I have been told to leave the kids and mama in the stall for up to two weeks, or a week if you live in an area with decent weather. It's just too cold here in Central KY to introduce the kids to the outside world - ours are a week old tomorrow.

I do NOT recommend a buck being with kids. Going off of our boer buck, he will hurt the kids to keep them away from mama. He didn't like our 3 kids in July and at times would try to chase them off, especially the boys. Not sure I'd want to take the chance. That's why we decided to seperate our buck in November.

We've had 3 kiddings since July. Our first one the doe needed some help getting her buckling out, just some assistance pulling because he was soooo big for her. 2nd doe kidded just fine <twins>, and the doe last week was fine.
    The ones last week I was all by myself while hubby and kids slept, I was a bit nervous of if things went wrong, but I was confident too. The only assistance needed was just getting them cleaned up so they could get dry <it was very cold out>. Once the umbilical chord broke, and I had them mostly dry I used my fingernails and cut the chord so it wasn't too long <I think an inch to an inch and a half is good>. Don't use scissors because I hear you can cause the kid to bleed, fingernails work great :) I put iodine in an empty water bottle, and make sure I soak their umbilical chord really good to help fight off infection.
    I made little sweaters for mine so when they were dry I put those on to help them keep warm until I felt they were ready to take off.
    Otherwise the only thing I"ve done is just assist the doeling in nursing because the first 24 hours she was having a little trouble latching on and getting her belly full.

I honestly think I will be nervous and worry each time because I love my girls so much and don't want anything to happen to them or their kids. But It's been quite an experience :)

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Bonding time is usually 3 nights...unless.. they have weak kids.... then they stay in the pen longer.... until they are strong enough... to find mom and nurse unassisted ..... so... it all depends on... the Doe and/or her kids.... Use your best judgment.... and watch... :wink:

not good... to have the buck out with the Does.... close to kidding.... the buck gets a false signal ...that the Does are in season...but in fact..... are going to drop a kid...a buck can stress out a Doe and breed her....and may even..... make the Doe go into premature labor..... I don't recommend any buck.... be with the Does....after he has bred and made them Preggo..... :(

With Assisting the Does ...it is easy ....once you know what to look for....and what to do... if you have any problems... come here on the goat spot and there should be good advice.... on what to do...also.... there are some here with a phone number to call.... to walk you through it..... :thumb:
    Goats are a bit different than dogs...you can stick your whole hand/arm up a Doe but... cannot do this with a dog...so in actuality ...I say ...a Doe is alot easier to correct ...if the kid needs to be re-positioned...Don't worry... unless a problem arises....alot of times... the kidding process goes along ....with no problems what-so ever.. :wink:

4. The1moe

The1moe New Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Oh man.. I am going to have to find something to do with the buck then... maybe in the old Chicken coop.. however will have to put new fencing up then.... not to much of a problem ... may just take a week...

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Good idea....it needs to be done.... :wink: :thumb:

6. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    Just make sure where you put your buck will hold him. We seperated our bucks from the girls, because of how far along the girls were and they got out the first day :angry: Since then we've got them in a more secure pasture, because seems like the more room they have the happier they are. They now live with a donkey and a mini horse. They keep them in line a lot better too. Good luck, this will be our first kidding too. Wishing you all the best for textbook delivery on your girls. :hug:

7. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Our buck climbed the fence <wire fencing>. I reinforced the fence and ran chicken wire making it about 7 or 8' tall all around his pen so he can't get out. BUT I am planning to make a pallet fence once weather co operates more. I have pallets as his gate and he can't get over it. But I will probably still put the chicken wire around the top over the pallets.

Pallets are free, and I make everything with them....LOL

8. The1moe

The1moe New Member

Oct 26, 2010
    The Mrs and I walked the area today and I guess I will put up some field fence along one side of the property... so the buck will have a 100 x 26 foot area to himself... I hope that will be sufficient... will start putting in posts this Thursday... brutal.. :)