The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In need of some pointers PLEASE.
We have an Oberhasli/Nigerian Dwarf mix and she is due to kid in the next few weeks. This will be her 2nd kidding and my first.
1. Is there a list of supplies that anyone has that we should have on hand?

2. We have 3 other females that just turned a year old how long should we keep them separated?

3. I want to begin to hand milk her but I would like to leave the kid/kids on her as well any advice on what to do? I have also heard that it's better to bottle feed does anyone do both?

4. I am also 7 1/2 months pregnant anything I need to be aware of as far as dangers?

Thank you in advance for any help/ advice!
Blessings,
Jennifer

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
1.) Yes :) Here's a quick list of stuff to have-

MUST HAVES
*Lubricant (just in case you need to assist)
*Phone (to call an experienced goat friend or vet)
*GLOVES (you know why....)
*Halter (in case you need it for momma)
*Bedding (for the delivery)
*Towels (for drying kids)
*Washcloths (for cleaning kids' faces, and/or the doe's udder)
*Q-tips (for getting mucous out of kids' noses)
*Scissors (for trimming umbilical cords)
*Iodine & dipper (for dipping navels)
*Trash bags (for placenta and dirty towels)

OPTIONAL
*Kid blankets (for cold climates)
*Heat lamp (for cold climates)
*Probiotics (may need it for kids or momma)

2.) Keep them separate for a week or so, until the kids are smart and strong enough to run and protect themselves. Momma will watch over them and the others wont want to bother them too much.

3.) You can start to take kids away at night when they are about 4 weeks old, then milk in the morning, and then put the kids back. I see a lot of people that do this. We do not bottle feed, but many have success with it :)

4.) Well... I have never been pregnant before, but.... Don't get too stressed out! Sooo many goat births go fine even when no one is there to watch. Make sure you bring a snack, and some water. Do you have anyone to help you with the goat?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Katelyn,
Great info thank you for that! My husband is in town now at least until both of us give birth LOL! I am super happy that this is not her first rodeo as I think I would be much more nervous.
Jennifer

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
You're very welcome! It is great to have someone to help you with the delivery. I am usually pushing people over to get to my goat!!! It is great that she is a 2nd freshener :)

·
I'm watching you
22,567 Posts
Being pregnant. If your doe should happen to abort be very very careful about cleaning up the fetuses and placenta. Have someone else do it if possible. There are 3 or 4 abortion diseases that goats can get that will also cause abortion in humans.
Not to freak you out, just a word to the wise.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh my goodness THANKYOU for letting me know!! I will be sure to do some research on that and take every precaution I can.
Blessings to you!
Jennifer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts