The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In need of some pointers PLEASE.
We have an Oberhasli/Nigerian Dwarf mix and she is due to kid in the next few weeks. This will be her 2nd kidding and my first.
1. Is there a list of supplies that anyone has that we should have on hand?

2. We have 3 other females that just turned a year old how long should we keep them separated?

3. I want to begin to hand milk her but I would like to leave the kid/kids on her as well any advice on what to do? I have also heard that it's better to bottle feed does anyone do both?

4. I am also 7 1/2 months pregnant anything I need to be aware of as far as dangers?

Thank you in advance for any help/ advice!
Blessings,
Jennifer

·
Registered
635 Posts
In need of some pointers PLEASE.
We have an Oberhasli/Nigerian Dwarf mix and she is due to kid in the next few weeks. This will be her 2nd kidding and my first.
1. Is there a list of supplies that anyone has that we should have on hand?

2. We have 3 other females that just turned a year old how long should we keep them separated?

3. I want to begin to hand milk her but I would like to leave the kid/kids on her as well any advice on what to do? I have also heard that it's better to bottle feed does anyone do both?

4. I am also 7 1/2 months pregnant anything I need to be aware of as far as dangers?

Thank you in advance for any help/ advice!
Blessings,
Jennifer
Understanding that I attend all births, my kidding box contains the following:
old towels, lots and lots of old towels
exam gloves in case I have to go pearl diving
KY jelly, see above
dental floss, for tying off umbilicals
scissors for cutting the cord
a kid/lamb puller for stuck kids, never used it in all these years, but still...
Strong Iodine, 7% for dipping navels
Goat Nutri-drench for weak kids.
Molasses, to give mom a big drink of warm molasses water after she's done.
A bulb aspirator, the kind used to remove mucus from human babies' noses. Helpful if a kid is not breathing or is clogged up. My wife uses this. I just use my mouth.

Prepare a kidding pen so mom can have her kids in private. Keep them together in it for at least a few days or a week or so. Then allow them with the others under supervision so you know how they'll react.

Bottle feeding accomplishes three things. It prevents CAE transmission, it makes babies easier to socialize later on, and it ties you up several times a day. I leave my babies on their mothers. You will be able to start milking in a few weeks anyhow, and by then you'll be busy with your own child and may not be up to it. A side note, when you do start milking, unless you are absolutely certain about the sterility of your milking practice and have had your goat's milk tested, I would advise against even considering giving it to your own newborn. I'll get a lot of disagreement on this one. Better safe than sorry.

My wife pulled babies and gave birth to my son 3 days later. I know of no inherent dangers to human pregnancy other than the normal physical exertion related cautions.

Hopefully others will add to things I've overlooked here. Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for all your excellent information and advice! I will be getting all our supplies together and praying for an easy delivery for both of us!:)

·
Registered
635 Posts
I can't stress strongly enough that you read and study the following links on the Fiasco Farm website. Nobody has done a better job describing the birthing process. I'd also suggest you have a mentor in the know or a good vet on tap in advance in case you need one. In spite of all my years and kidding seasons, I still call my vet for a heads up on my kidding dates and to make sure he's going to be in town in case I need him. 99% of the time the does handle it all themselves without issue, but that 1% can go south on you real quick. I hate losing babies or moms because of something I could have done.

http://fiascofarm.com/goats/kidding.htm

http://fiascofarm.com/galleries/Goa...lated_Photos/Czarinaweena_Delivery/index.html

http://fiascofarm.com/galleries/Goat_Care_and_Information/Birth_Related_Photos/index.html

http://fiascofarm.com/goats/how_to_deliver_a_kid.html

·
Registered
635 Posts
Give your mom a fresh dose of CD/T vaccine about two weeks from kidding time. It will give the babies passive tetanus immunity for about two weeks after they're born, when you'll want to vaccinate them individually.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts