our girls and their pasture (pictures)

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by hphorses, May 11, 2010.

1. hphorses

hphorses New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Waldron, SK. Canada
    Ok here are some pictures of our girls on their new pasture.. What do you guys think? it has some tree's and some grazing land.. the shelter is only temporary, the real one will way bigger and sided in.. it will actually be as lard as the area the who wind brake takes up, the wind brake is only there until we get the shelter up.

Now they spent the night out there last night and guess what!!?! we are going to need a LGD coyotes woke us up at midnight yippping and carrying on, we had to get up and turn all the outside lights on, we built the pasture there because it is right near the house (just across the driveway) We ended up putting our Border Collies outside to bark their fooled heads off all night.. we didn't have any other options.. Bruce is going to get a radio today to hang out there as it used to work for my parents when I was a kid to keep them away from the pigs and chickens.. So anyway, I think we are on a hunt for a LGD now.. any one know of any good litters in the SK Canada area???????????????????

Tara

2. hphorses

hphorses New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Waldron, SK. Canada
    oh dang the pictures didn't attach, try again.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    NICE! :thumbup:
    The radio will work, my moms goats "come home" before dark so they are close to the house and she keeps a radio in the barn, coyotes haven't come that close yet.

4. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    Holysmokes Tara! You have Alcatraz North! LOL That is some awesome fencing.
    How big is your pasture?
    You guys did a really good job!

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    really really nice!!!! thats awesome :D

radio and light should work. Try using a sensor light to turn on if something comes near from the outside (not inside or the goats will keep turning it on :p

6. hphorses

hphorses New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Waldron, SK. Canada
    LOL Bruce and I laughed our butts off at Alcatraz North! LOL We figured we only want to build the fence once so might as well do it right no?
    It is only 2 and a half acres, I know looks way bigger in the pictures but still looks like there will be lots of room for more goat additions! hehehe the ten of them look pretty out of sorts and lost in their big world now :wink:

perfect to hear the radio will work for the time being and we can see if there would be anyway to hook up a light sensor somewhere but I think where the coyotes would be trying to come in at is to far away from power.. the bottom wire is only 6 inches off the ground but we are scared the coyotes will come through by the gates. the wire is packing a nasty shock so hopefully they will put their wet yoddle noses on it first!

Tara

7. ZipperDoo

ZipperDoo Member

Apr 18, 2010
    That fence is amazing! Are all the lines in it "active"? How much did it cost you, if you don't mind my asking?

That's the type of fencing I want around my 10 acres, I just haven't been able to get an accurate price for something of that caliber.

Your goats and your set up look wonderful, thank you for sharing!

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Love your place.... and goats.... :thumb: :love: :greengrin:

9. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    I love your fencing as well, and my goats would kill to be able to run on two acres. I see some very happy goats that you have.

10. hphorses

hphorses New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Waldron, SK. Canada
    All the lines CAN be active but we only have the bottom 5 running right now, but we made it so we can hook up any line we want... It wasn't cheap! it took 3 rolls of smooth wire at $85.00, one bundle of 6 inch by 8 foot posts (most expensive didn't need a bundle but cheaper that way and we will always end up using the rest) bundle cost $750.00 we already had the t-posts so not sure on that price. and now insulators 5 boxes of slip on insulators at $18.00 a box, 4 boxes of wrap around insulators (200 per box) at $18.00 a box (10 per box) 16 bull nose insulators at $2.00 each. then the spinning Jennys for tightening it 16 at $4.20 each. we also had a roll of number 9 wire so not sure on the price there, that's used for your brace posts. oh and we also had the gates we just put mesh wire on them for the goats as they were bargin pasture gates..

Hope that helps!! it was A LOT of work for just hubby and I and due to nasty weather it ended up taking us 2 weeks but almost one week was so nasty out there was no way we could work on it..

Tara

11. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    nice fence! you should come do mine. ;)

12. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    I also love that fencing! Very nice. Will the coyotes be able to squeeze in there without getting zapped? The goats are also very pretty! I'm sure you are really enjoying them. :)

13. hphorses

hphorses New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Waldron, SK. Canada
    Nope all the wires are only 6 inches apart, anything that wants to go through them WILL get zapped, but the coyotes could get in under the gates or between the gates and posts, so that's what worries us. We didn't really think of that when we built it. Like how to make the gates coyote proof...

Tara

14. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    That is great and complete information about pricing. Thank you for sharing that. How helpful.

15. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    The old joke in the goat world is if your fence will hold water, it'll hold goats.

As someone who fenced 9 acres, I can say that is really superior work.

16. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Great fence. I know it won't help now with the cost of the posts but most electric companies will give you the broken electric poles just for the asking. The only thing you have to do is call, or show up and ask for them. You need to bring a chainsaw, a trailer and the manpower as they won't cut, or load them for you.