Our goat farm lately

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Hidden Waters Farm, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    I wasnt sure where to post because I have so many topics covered in what im about to type.

My newest goat addition Ducky is loving the indoor bottle baby life, He gets to run loose every so often so he runs up on the couch, onto my Mom's chair, slips and slides across the kitchen floor, then he races down the hall and back. My dogs are not sure what to think about it. Ducky finally has pellet poops today, I was a little worried because it has been coming out as one large round ball and getting stuck. Ducky seems to have been cooked too long inside his mother, His teeth were good sized and he started nibbling hay when he was 2 days old.

We have discovered that Marmy is a better milking doe than we expected. We have run into another issue however... Yesterday we came out to find the right half of her udder was way smaller than the left, and because Marmy is a heavy producer for her size it was quite odd. So we milked her out and both halves were even again, The milk had no abnormalities. Then today we came out and found the same thing??? We put her up on the stand (she refuses to jump so we must lift her) to examine her udder for sores and mastitis indicators, Nothing. But I did notice she was very full, So I began to milk her left side into the milking cup (Its easier to use with her, its a 3 cup tumbler/glass) and examined her milk, it was fine. about 20 seconds into milking I discovered why Marmy's udder had been lopsided, My 3 yr old doe April (My drug happy goat) decides to nurse the right side! :GAAH: We milked a total of 5 cups from the left side and 2 cups from the right side... You can imagine how happy I was about that. So now I'm not sure what to do.. I thought of taping Marmy's teats so April cannot suck them, but Marmy is going to get tired of me peeling the tape off her every milking. Any ideas?

Thanks for reading my rant lol.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Is April a kid of Marmy's? I had the same thing happen years ago with my Bootsie, she kidded and raised her babies and once they left and I started to milk her I found her production lacking...came out and caught her 3 year old doe nursing from her! I did end up taping her teats though it didn't work...she'd stand and allow Tilly to work the tape off, I finally had to do the tough love thing and took Tilly to my moms for a few months, when she came home, she was treated just like any "new" goat would be...even her own mother forgot about her.
    You may need to separate April from Marmy for awhile and see if it happens again.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree ...to remove the kid.... if you don't want her to be nursed on....it will be difficult.... as when you put her back in with the Doe...she will ...go back to her old habits... :(

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Glad your little guy is doing well :)

As to the doe -- there is such things as teat tape -- you could try that

5. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Floyd, Va
    Could you maybe try an udder bra? I've seen them sold for dairy cows, but not sure if they make them small enough for goats?

6. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Floyd, Va
  7. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    April is a Lamancha, the one I has issues with in Novenber and Marmy is my newly freshened Saanen/Nubian doe, They are not related nor did they come from the same place. I dont have another shelter to move April right now because shes in the only enclosed barn I have due to her health and all my other shelters are run ins. Her eyes get so much clearer and she also can concentrate on getting weight up instead of staying warm when shes in the barn instead of the run in.

So I am wondering about what to do next, I think I will try the teat tape and if nothing else the tape will slow April down some and make her work for it. I tried a trick recommended by my grandmother... She told me to take food coloring and dye Marmy's teats to see if its only April who is nursing. So I did it last night and when I went to milk this morning I checked everyone, Nobody had the dye on them and Marmy's udder was normal looking. Hmmm changed her mind?

Stacey, Do you remember where you saw the Teat Tape available? I suppose I could Google it but I always find imitators when I look for things that way.

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Any breathable cloth or paper tape will work. Family Dollar carries a "Athletic tape" that I use when needed.

9. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    on the subject of the "goat bra" couldnt one quickly sew up a "purse" of sorts.... the bag part to fit over the udder and the strap could be sewn on one side of th bag and the opposite end of the strap could be a buckle or snap of some sort.... just a thought....