Our goat may be sick and we need help!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by dksnook, Apr 6, 2017.

1. dksnook

dksnook New Member

Apr 6, 2017
    We have a female goat that seems to no longer be accepted by the herd. She has been part of the pack for a few years. Her two babies still stay with her but the others very seldom gather with her. We often see her alone. She is also losing weight and is now starting to lose fur on her hind legs. Any input is appreciated.

2. anawhitfield

anawhitfield Active Member

Jun 8, 2013
    Buford, Georgia
    Being rejected by the other animals could take a toll on her health because they are such social animals. On the other hand, she may keep to herself because she is not feeling well. The hair loss makes me wonder if she is mineral (copper) deficient. And the weight loss could very well be because of being rejected and she is too depressed to eat. But it could also be due to a medical condition or intestinal parasites.
    If it were my goat, I would completely separate her (along with her kids) and show her a lot of attention, give her good hay, special treats (fruits / veggies). I would give her B Complex shots daily and I would put molasses in her water to boost her energy. I would do a good de-worming treatment and give her a Copper Bolus (only one tablet - be careful not to overdose her). And if you don't see improvement in a couple of weeks, you might be dealing with some sort of a serious medical issue rather than depression due to not being accepted.
    These are just my thoughts on it. Maybe the other folks will chime in with some advice.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Good advice above, but remember to introduce new or more feed in moderation and slowly.

I would get a temp on her as well. If her temp is high start antibiotics.

How long has she been staying away from the herd?
    How is her udder, any mastitis? Hard, swollen udder, is her milk OK? No clumps, strings, blood. Any milk coming out?

Depending on when she kidded, any foul odor back around her vulva area?
    Did she drop her afterbirth?

How old are her babies?

Getting a fecal for worms and cocci will help determine what may be ailing her from stress.

Losing hair on the legs may also be mites, any scabs?

4. dksnook

dksnook New Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Her kids are over a year now. I will check into the other advice you gave.

Thank you

5. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I agree..a good check up is needed...fecal, lice, Rumen sounds..maybe blood work

what is her diet currently? does she have access to quality loose minerals?

Can you post pictures?

6. odieclark

odieclark Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Sick doe

How is she?

Hoping you figured out her issues, good advice above!

We have one who is likely the low one on the rung, as she will stand away at times and gets pushed around too. Hard to watch that sometimes, but she is the smallest and is doing pretty well! Though, at times gets pushed out into the rain! Goats can be mean!

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California