The Goat Spot Forum banner

Our hay feeders.

4K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  TNP 
#1 ·
Here are our current hay feeders, we have found these are BY FAR our favorites that we have had, they waste very little and stay clean. And our goats like it alot!

#7 ·
There is still some waste, which we put on what we call the "pee pile" which you can see in the middle of the floor, they almost always pee in there which is great. My dad and I built them, but I think they are easy enough to build by yourself, you basically just need a saw, screws, tape measure and a drill.

#10 ·
Those feeders are amazing! Our goats waste so much hay with the one they currently have. Amazing how the simplest thing can often be the hardest to think of. As soon as I get a chance I think that I'm going to alter ours and put a couple of slats along the bottom of our feeder so they cannot keep pulling all of the hay around the yard. Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful idea! :leap:

#12 ·
This is the feeder I want to build this week. For the building-challenged (that would be me, LOL), could you please tell me how tall it is, and also how deep the inside part is that holds the hay, from front to back? The front bars look like they were made with 2x4s. Is that correct? Just trying to figure out what size wood I gotta get. Thank you!

#16 ·
Candy said:
That's a great setup! The waste always drives me nuts--but I do use the spills for bedding :greengrin:
Candy :sun:
I do too but at $7 a square bale I still grumble when I see five or six rolling in the hay because they tipped over their feeder. This feeder looks great and I think for the winter I will build one.

#17 ·
So... I've been using my version of this feeder for a little over a week now, and I love it! There is very little hay waste anymore, except of course the stemmy parts that they won't eat, that they leave in the feeder. Very little hay scattered around on the ground. So glad I went with this type of feeder! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.