Our LGD's

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Perfect7, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Sorry I've been away for so long, everyone. Last week we had a loss, our first (and only) baby born here to date. Kachina was 75 lbs at 5 months old and just as gorgeous as her mom. Our LGD, Tuteur, is an excellent guardian even though she's a bit of a dufus still at 16 months old. Our pasture is surrounded by all electric fence....except for the part that borders our backyard. The backyard is fenced with field fencing. Tuteur lets no animals cross her line to get to her babies.
    About a month ago we opened up the back pasture (bordering the back yard) to rotate the pastures. The goats got fat and happy. On the way up to the barn one night, with Tuteur leading the way, baby Kachina decided to eat weeds through the backyard fence and got her horns stuck. Our backyard pets were a rottweiler (old and lazy) and a great dane/bulldog cross. The great dane mauled our baby's head that was on his side of the fence. We got to her and rushed her to the vet, but it was too late to save her. It was horrible and had she lived she would have lost her right eye.
    Our LGD had led the rest of the herd to the barn and then returned to sit beside the doeling as she was still stuck in the fence. She followed dh as he carried the baby to our car, whimpering the whole time.
    Tuteur never barked or growled at the great dane (who was standing by just admiring his handy work with blood all over him when we arrived). She stayed with the baby but never tried to protect her. I realized it's because she considered our backyard dogs part of her herd as well, but Tuteur hung her head. I guess I thought this may help somebody else who has dogs besides their LGD's. The fault was mine, not my Pyr's. She was confused on what she should do.
    We put the dane down at the vet as soon as we buried our doeling. The kids cried for the loss of their baby and the dog. So, we bought them a new dog. We got Tuteur's litter mate, Berger (Bearjee in french. She's more mature than Tuteur and does not leave the goats for two seconds, nor will she allow any strange thing to enter "her" pasture.
    The only good outcome from all of this is that Tuteur is suddenly even more alert and protective of her herd, the two Pyrs working together is the most awesome thing I have ever seen, and the goats now cling to them. If they get scared, they all run to the Pyrs.
    I have learned that an LGD will accept a "pet" dog on the property as part of the herd and not protect the herd from them once accepted. :tears: I miss my baby doeling, who chased my daughter daily around the pasture. I lost her because of my total stupidity.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh man.... I am so sorry... that happened... how traumatic for all involved... all the way around.... so devastating..... Again... I am so sorry.... :( :hug:

3. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Yes, if an LGD is allowed to interact (at all) with yard dogs...some will also allow them to harm their stock as they are doing as was told by the owners (not to harm the yard dog) :( very sad story! I'm sorry you guys had to go through that. I'm sure your kids must be pretty upset. :hug:

4. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I am sorry for everything that happened to you guys I am sure it must be hard.

5. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I'm so sorry. I have a young LGD and my grandmother's dogs come down to "vist" and nab any chickens they can grab outside the fence. (just healed one that was torn up pretty bad) Grumpy hates them. He charges the fence and paces back and forth til I come out with the rifle then he jumps up and down with a "Get em' Mom" glee in his eyes. He also alerts to coons and possums. Just killed one last week and he went nuts til it was dead and he could see it. (gave a last growl and went to pester the goats to make sure they saw how well he "protected" everyone.

I am having trouble with him dragging and running the goats out of their sheds when it rains. He LOVES rain and wants company while he sits and plays in the mud. He can't understand why they don't like it. My sheep have given up and will stand in the yard but the goats close their eyes and "hide". If they can't see you, you can't see them. :laugh:

Gina

6. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I am so very sorry, this has to be very difficult. Don't beat yourself up, you'd never have guessed thsi would happen.
    I too would have put the dog down, as I am a believer in having a non viscious dog. Once they get a taste for blood...they are a threat.
    It sounds like Berger is a great girl! And maybe this was God's way of protecting the rest of your herd. A sacrifice for a better outcome? I know it doesn't make things easier, but sometimes I think it can explain why things 'can' happen.

Again, I am so sorry.

7. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Thank you, everyone. I never introduced Tuteur to the "pet dog" but he was constantly running the back fence barking. I think she just got used to him being there, and she always saw my children in the backyard playing with him. The vet highly suggested we put him down with our children being young, and said once he kills a larger animal there is a 100% chance he'll do it again if given the chance. It was bittersweet because I saved him as a parvo puppy, one week of IV therapy five years ago. I know he would have given his life for me or the kids.