Our new baby... What do u think.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by illini, Oct 20, 2008.

1. illini

illini New Member

Aug 23, 2008
    She is ny sons for 4-H this next yr. He named her Katie.
    [​IMG]

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh ................katie is a real cutie..... :love: :)

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Very cute baby! Hope she does well for your son in 4-H! :)

4. illini

illini New Member

Aug 23, 2008
    I hope so. I just hope she is all pygmy like they say she is. I have other pics when i get a chance ai will upload them too.

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Awww...very cute!

6. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Aww, cute. Nice coloring.

7. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    Oh how cute. She will be a fun project for your son!!!

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    What a little cutie! She will do very well for your son! I love selling goaties for 4h projects!

9. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
  10. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

very cute! she looks like she didnt appreciate the cat sharingher lunch with her. What is she a kinder?
    beth

11. illini

illini New Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Thanks all. Forgive me for sounding :question: (well) dumb but t what do you mean by kinder? These four goats I have are our first ones. My mom has raised some but not to sure what you mean by some of words that relate to goats.

12. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

the kinder is a breed. they were originally developed by a lady in Snohomish WA named Pat Showalter. They are a cross between a nubian and a pygmy, they have large ears that stick out to the sides but are smaller then nubians and bigger and more dairy looking then pygmies. They are a great breed and were redognized in 1984. They are a dual purpose breed being good for milk and meat. Her ears look a lot larger then a purebred pygmy. that was why i asked.

beth

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    She is a bit preoccupied :wink: with the kitty, but I think you have a real sweetheart and good luck with the 4H.

14. illini

illini New Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Thanks for explaining. I am not sure about her ears but I hate the tags in there ears. is ther an easy way to remove them. It is making her ear hang lower on the one side?

15. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    shes a very odd color

16. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    As far as he tag...is there room for you to get between her ear and the post to cut it? Is this a "breeder" tag, I only wonder because I've seen some goats around here with a number tag in their ear.

17. rkalgren

rkalgren New Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Falls Creek, PA
    Check with the 4-H leader, I have been told that in PA goats shown in 4-H have to have a tag from the farm they came from. I think it is from the PA dept of Ag and is used to track livestock in case an infectious disease is found.

18. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    What kind of tag is it? For example what numbers and letters does it have?

As Bob mentioned; some people will 'tag' their goats as a way of ID or proof of disease check.

Most 4-H groups will not let you use the tag as a form of identification, they should be ink tatooed inside the ear or on the tail web, but, it's still ok to have tags in their ears when showing (as far as I know), as long as they are atleast tatooed.

My very first goat for 4-h had a Scrappies tag in her ear when we purchased her, a couple days before the fair, it got caught in some wire, and tore her ear and fell out.
    It is not recommended to tag your goats for that very reason.

I know that you can enter the letter and numbers from the tag into a site (can't remember which site) and it will tell you what the tag is for ect.

19. FancyAppy

FancyAppy New Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Pennsylvania