Our new buck is shedding his fur and skin in sheets

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by ruedyranch, Mar 27, 2011.

1. ruedyranch

ruedyranch New Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Help, our new buck is losing his fur and shedding his skin like a snake in sheets. We brought him home the first week in March and a few days later noticed he was starting to get a little bald spot on his side. Now only a couple of weeks later he has lost a signifigant amount of his fur and looks pathetic. We have had him in quarantine because the breeder we bought him from had a history of CL and we noticed a lump on his neck. Any way that it could be related? She said she treated him with Ivomec before we picked him up. I have also read that goats who are stressed can lose hair. We did move hime into the barn where he could see the other goats about two weeks ago but just not close enough to make contact. We have a small herd and just finished kidding so we won't have another buck to put in with him for at least 9 more weeks. He did like hanging out with the donkeys but I am nervous keeping them together until I find out what is going on with him. I would appreciate any help or suggestions. :hair:

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Is the skin healthy looking or scaly...scabby ect?
    If it is healthy skin.. it could be that he is shedding..has there been a period of time ....where the weather was warm...it could trigger hair to shed......

check for lice.....

Also ...has he had loose salt and minerals? could be a copper deficiency...how does his tail look ....does it have a fishtail appearance at the end?

CL is not associated with losing hair....it is usually abscesses... that are on lympnodes... CL is contagious to humans .... and other goats... it is easily spread... Don't let the abscess...pop on its own... you should lance it.. before that happens.... wear gloves and properly dispose of everything... be very careful... :(

3. ruedyranch

ruedyranch New Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Yes he has a free supply of a good goat specific loose mineral. His skin looks a little scaley, reminds me of a snake skin. Not a usual shedding. All the hair is gone and bare skin is exposed when it "peels" off. I called the breeder, (we've only had him for a month) she thought it could be stress because he is not penned with another animal. He is in the barn within sight of other goats but no contact. She suggested I get a goat to keep with him. I only have does who have all just kidded. As soon as the kids are weaned we will have a buddy for him. We tried putting him in with the donkeys and he seemed to like them but then he broke through the electric fence. It did start when we had him in a completely different building by himself. We moved him because he was so sad and lonely. He does seem more content in the barn but the breeder says he is really accustomed to curling up with his brother who he was just seperated from after 4 years. Can lonliness really cause this kind of skin issue?

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    It sounds like possible mites....I only can say this because I am going through it with mine right now, but it could be from stress of the move, there are so many things......but with the skin as you describe it, I would go ahead and treat for mites anyway.... it isn't going to hurt to cover yourself there......I have only found that injecting Ivomec at 1cc per 40 lbs is working for mine and I have tried it all, you need to retreat with another injection......some say treat 3x's 10 days apart, some will say at 21 days apart. What I have been told, mites are everywhere and when a goats immune system is compromised like from stress it allows parasites to invade which I knew that with worms, just never thought about lice and mites......I think this is what happen with one of my guys from losing his buddy this winter and then he infected my other two before I knew it. I hope this helps.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I have to agree with Denise... try the treatment... she has described.... :thumb:

6. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Just wanted to add that we found a lump in one of our does last summer. We had the vet aspirate some fluid from it and send it off (it wasn't very expensive). The lab, Texas Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory Sytem, charged only $17 out of state and $15 in state for the test, plus the cost for our vet to draw it (maybe $20-$30 with shipping?). It only took a couple of days to get the results back and it was negative. She STILL has that lump behind her jaw right where the lymph node is and it hasn't changed. Doc thinks it was a splinter, etc. The test was well worth the peace of mind to me. :hug:

7. ruedyranch

ruedyranch New Member

Jan 14, 2011
    I did retreat with Ivomec. I found a couple of different sites that recommend anywhere from double to triple the recommended cattle dose. I guesstimated his weight at 200 lbs because he is a little thin after breeding and winter season. I gave him 6cc. I moved him in with the donkeys and he seems to like them but they are not in love with him. =-( At least now he can get nose to nose with the does on the other side. Pretty sure it was CL. I lanced the abscess and it seemed pretty typical. In hind site I probably should have asked more question. Their management practices are decidedly different than my own. I probably would not have bought him. I was swayed by his shining pedigree. Lesson learned. I have had a goat with lice before and I don't think that's it. Anyone have any experience with fungal infections? Wondering if this could be a possibility? How long before I see some improvement?

8. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Floyd, Va
    We had the the same thing happening with our buck. When we got him he was itching like crazy and loosing hair on his rump. The owner said he had mites. So naturally we just figured they had a skin scraping on him and knew it actually was mites. So we were treating him, and it kept gettting worse and worse until his whole rump and back were bald with scaley skin. Finally had the vet out, it was not mites, it was his diet. Being a big fat buck, we were not giving him grain and he was not getting enough amino acids and fat in his diet, nor was he eating his minerals well. I've been giving him a bit of calf manna, and flax cookies from the horses and our vet gave us a top dressing to put on some feed. He still looks dry, but he has stopped itching and his hair is growing back.

9. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    With the ivomec treatment, I started noticing a difference within a couple of days as far as skin looking better and no itching......but it takes a while for the hair to regrow. If it is mites or lice, he will need to be retreated to get the hatching eggs.

10. ruedyranch

ruedyranch New Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Quick update... I really don't think it was any kind of parasite. I really am convinced it was becuase he was depressed. He still looks pathetic but since I put him in the pasture with the donkeys he has really gotten a lot better and the molting has stopped. Thanks for all the advice.

11. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    We think our buck was depressed too! He did have a lice issue weeks ago we took care of, but he was losing weight, and looking...bleh. We've started turning him out with the herd in the afternoon - when we take them into the woods to browse, and then he goes back in his pen at feeding time for the night. So far he seems to be much happier and starting to look a little better. He doesn't harrass my girls, and we've caught him running and playing with the kids...hehe....