Our new doe

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Perfect7, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Just got back from getting our replacement doe from the breeder after losing Chipper last weekend. It's bittersweet but the kids adore her. She's a yearling doe (well, 11 months), so I'm excited to have one a bit older and not the normal baby illnesses to deal with. Not ready for that again yet! I did notice her eyelids were a paler pink and have already wormed her with Equimax, and segregated her from everybody else for the time being. She wont be turned out until we get a clean fecal back and sevin dust her, plus watching for the usual signs of not quite healthy. Anyway, will post a pic of her later after I take one when it cools down. This girl is a total sweetheart and very mellow, looks like she needs more groceries but she'll get it. I just may fall in love. :love:

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hope she settles in well for you...and I am sure that with a lot of TLC she'll be as healthy and happy as the herd she is joining :hug:

3. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Thank you! Her name is Lolita, which means "sorrows". I thought it was appropriate considering the circumstances. She is the doe I was going to buy with Chipper if I couldn't talk the breeder into selling the mother, Bandi. Lolita is Chipper's half sister from Bandi's kidding last year and has those same ridiculously long ears I love.
    The good is she was shown last year and leads very well, even for the kiddos. The bad is that 4 hours after worming with Equimax she's already passing tapeworms and segments. :sigh: Just glad she's isolated and we caught it, though, so that may be considered a good thing. Just sad that obviously the breeder hasn't treated everyone for it there even after our heads up. Glad she's home.

Attached Files:

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    She's a cute little doe.

5. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Congrats on the new girl. Shes cute and everything, but shes awfully skinny.... Is she full boer? You shouldn't see that much hip and backbone on a boer, especially on a younger girl. What were the breeders feeding her? And what will you be feeding her? It could hav been the worms too..

6. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    I agree, she's way too thin. You can't see it from the pictures so well, but I can feel every single rib. :sigh: She was on a dry lot with good quality peanut hay and they feed 18% grain to the showing goats, but not sure what grain she was getting. I think the biggest problem was the worms.
    Right now I'm keeping her in a dry lot while she's in isolation, gave her two flakes of alfalfa plus a cup of 16% grain (we do Noble Goat). We feed twice daily and once she's off restriction she'll be moving to the pasture that has gotten quite lush with the rain. I don't hay mine on the pasture, but still feed grain twice daily. I planned on giving her 2 cups a day but she may need more to fatten her up. She passed an approximate 5 inch flat tapeworm earlier, disgusting! I gave her CD-T tonight so she'll have that before hitting the pasture and hopefully wont bloat. She's a high percentage boer, 98%. Sad, huh? I think she'll shape up soon. :wink:
    Oh, and on top of food they all get midnight snacks! :laugh: I'm a bad mommy giving them corn chips, fritos, cheerios, popcorn, bread, and raisins. Okay, so the raisins aren't so bad. :p

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    HeHe snacks are good...LOL.... :wink: :thumb:

I would hit her again 7 to 10 days ..to catch the hatching eggs.... Poor girl.... just be careful... if she isn't use to the hot feed... she may scour on you.... so do it gradually....
    Other than that... she is a pretty young boer.... :greengrin: with your care... she should plump up in no time... :hi5: :thumbup:

8. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Thank you, Pam. I will worm her again in a week and am giving her raisins to kind of help in the meantime. I will pick up some red cell tomorrow. I just noticed she has slight swelling under the jaw, soft, not like the huge bottle jaw but still makes her lower jaw look rounded. Beginning bottle jaw? Barber Pole as well as tapeworm? Would you suggest I dose her with cydectin or valbazen in a week or dose her with the same as I used tonight?

Attached Files:

9. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I would use Valbazen on her. Although I've never used equimax before so maybe tha is sufficient? I'm off to go look it up. :)

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    sounds like you've got it under control there! good luck she should be picking up pounds soon

11. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Too much Redcell can do more harm then good. Can you find Geritol instead? Thats also Iron. Also give her Spinach leaves if she will eat them. A couple hours before feeding time give her some cooked oatmeal laced with mollases and raisens. Not too much at first, a couple of bites. That will help her with anemia.

12. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Somehow I missed this post. I just wanted to say she is very cute! I bet she's going to fill out nicely when you get her healthy. Shame on the breeder you bought her from, sounds like they didn't care! UGH. And they are a big breeder in your area? I'd think they'd be more responsible than this, what a shame. This could be expected of newbies still learning <like us!>, but not people who've been into goats and show them, etc. I know I'd never sell someone an animal unless I knew it was healthy, or they knew the risks. But unfortunately so many people out there are not like that....

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The Equimax will work on the barberpole too as it also has Ivermectin in it...the swelling under her jaw does suggest an overload, not sure of the wormer in the Valbazen or Cydectin but I think dosing her again in 10 days with the Equimax and a third dose 10 days after that would rid her system of both the tapes as well as the barberpole. The suggestion of Geritol as well as the molasses, raisin and oatmeal is a very easy and safe way to get her iron levels up. She'll be healthy in no time!

14. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Thank you so much everyone! Equimax twice more it is! I have the oatmeal, molasses, and raisins and appreciate that. Never heard of geritol but will google it. Today she has a nice cough and clear nasal discharge so she got benadryl. Tonite she'll get a few drops of grapefruit seed extract in water flushing her nostril (works great for human kids and me).
    I don't want to speak poorly of the breeder but I saw a lot more while I was there yesterday that I won't go back.

15. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I hope she gets better soon P7. Sounds like you got yourself a rescue who needed it before she ended up like her lil'sis. How heartbreaking. I wonder how many others have gone through what you have with this breeder.

16. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    I was thinking the same thing, hoosier. The breeder told my dh he has several he's taking to the auction before they die because it's been so hot nobody is eating. It IS hot, but mine are eating. I saw a mom and two doelings that looked like skeletons, one with a rump caked full of dried diarrhea. They probably won't make it a week. I think tapeworm has set in there bad, in a big way. I ALMOST brought them home to isolate and give them a chance, but I don't want to watch more die. I saw retired high dollar show bucks with feet grown up so bad they are curling, but their stud fee is 500. Yes, big breeder. It seemed to be all about the ribbons to me and if they aren,t bringing ribbons, well, nuff said.

17. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    What you have not given them ginger snaps ... you will be so love if you give ginger snaps... mine go crazy for them and the donkeys bray all together if they think it is ginger snap time.

18. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    LOL.... Mine LOVE jelly beans!!! And those kiddie freeze pops, the blue ones are Angel's favorite!

19. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Wow that is just AWFUL. I feel so sad for that mama and her kids. What sick people! At least your girls will have a chance at gaining their health and having a happy, loving home!

As for all the talk about treats, I gotta stock up! Our girls LOVE animal crackers. They also LOVE Kix cereal. My kids aren't into that cereal anymore, so I took some out, and they were all over us like flies, it was funny!

20. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    I'm going to have to try all of those, too! Adding animal crackers, ginger snaps, and jelly beans to the grocery list. :wink:
    New doe is doing much better, nose clearing up and eyes pinking up. She has a healthy appetite and we're getting back to normal poo now that appears to be tapeworm free. I can't believe already how much more energy she has. The swelling under her jaw is also shrinking away. She hates being in isolation! I'm taking her out on a lead twice a day to munch some grass for about fifteen minutes. She's loving that, and it's in an area the other goaties don't have access to.