Our new water trough

Discussion in 'Barnyard Bananza' started by Nancy_in_GA, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Nancy_in_GA

Nancy_in_GA New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Northeast Georgia
  2. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    That looks really nicely made as does all your stuff. But I do wonder that no goat has fooled with the handle and turned the water on.

Re: freezing - at 14 degrees I don't know of anything to keep it from doing that but I used to float rubber balls in the horses tank years ago- it did keep the surface from freezing sometimes. But you had to put in enough to mostly cover the surface.

3. Nancy_in_GA

Nancy_in_GA New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Northeast Georgia
    I know what you mean. Our previous water spigot was like a "T" and they were able to turn that one on. This one's a little more difficult to get hold of, and so far they've left it alone (knock on wood).

4. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I really like the enclosed sink thing- I think it would be eay to clean.

5. Nancy_in_GA

Nancy_in_GA New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Northeast Georgia
    Yes, I got very tired of toting water buckets to dump and clean so we wouldn't make mud near the barn. The sink has a plug in the bottom. We buried about 30' of drain pipe, with an elbow coming up out of the ground underneath it, so you just pull the plug and the water comes out down over a hill.

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    That looks great, For me I would be afraid that my babies would go to jump on it and fall in the water and drown. i have already lost on to that this year. My babies jump on EVERYTHING, as I am sure they all do.

7. Nancy_in_GA

Nancy_in_GA New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Northeast Georgia
    That's a very good point. I forgot about that because we don't have any babies. Ours are mostly wethers with a couple of dry does---just pets, I guess. Breeding goats would be fun, but I'd be afraid I wouldn't want to let go of any of them. Plus I'm getting too old---don't want my goats to outlive me. :wink:

8. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    I love the water trough, It looks very nice! :leap:

Maybe you could post pics of it from different angles and such...Maybe I'll get my dad to make one hen we get goats lol

9. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    Wonderful idea! Yes, very sharp looking construction. Thank the goats for doing a demo for us. :)

10. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    what an great idea! I love it when people think outside the box. The water is so clean and clear, of course my LGDs would think it was their "pool" and it would be muddy in no time here. Denise

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with sweetgoats ,,if you ever have kids I would worry about them taking the big plunge..drowning or hypothermia...........Oh how cold... :shocked: ......just be careful.... :worried:
    It is a very nice looking watering hole,.............. By the way of what I can see
    of your goats,they are gorgeous....love there coloring.... :love:

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    That looks great! ....I still get my daily exercise carrying water to the barn, don't mind it at all and I truly don't think my goats would keep something that nice very clean for long :slapfloor: