out/late season breeding

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by DLJ Goats, Jan 22, 2011.

1. DLJ Goats

DLJ Goats New Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Conyers, Ga
    I have two new girls one of which is going to be breed for her first time this year. I'm courios about breeding her late in the season. Biggest ? is what are the negatives of breeding now and kidding in August?

2. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Flies. My very first kidding was on 15 January, it was frigid and I decided never to do that again. The next year I had trouble getting my nubian bred, and she ended up kidding at the end of June, and I decided never to do that again. I didn't get her placenta, and found it because it was a breeding ground for thousands of flies. So if you have kids in August, you need to be really vigilant about clean up. Plus if you are in a hot place it can be just as hard on the kids as being born in the cold. You need to make sure they are not stuck in the sun in 100 degree weather.

I have one this year due 12 May, that is about as late as I am willing to go. I would rather do winter.

Jan

3. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I myself am thinking that between March-May or late Sept-mid Nov. I am in Central KY, so it does depend on where you live and what your weather is like through the year.
    We've had 3 kidding experiences. First 2 were in July. Flies weren't terrible, but we cleaned up as quickly as possible, and kept mamas and their babies out in the shade in a grassy area as much as we could that helped keep the flies from being a big pain since the barn area was the area that we saw more of them in.
    The heat, if you have shady areas to turn them out where they can get out of the sun, and stay cool, it works. Our girls were happy to be outside a few hours after kidding, and so did the kids....
    Our doe that kidded 2 weeks ago has only gotten to go outside maybe 3 times with her kids? I feel so bad for them being stuck in the stall all the time, but the last thing I need is sick kids because of the cold and snow...
    Also, they were born right after midnight and me and mama had to work hard to get them dry and warm - I put homemade sweaters on them, and had to keep the heat lamp on for the first day until their bodies could get adjusted.

I think every season has it's share of problems, but I also think if you avoid bitter cold and extreme heat you should be fine.

I am planning to try and plan breedings for the spring or fall kiddings....no more winter kiddings if we can help it.

4. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I have one who will be due June 12 this year-that is probably a bit late, but I wanted to get her bred so she could fall into the fall breeding schedule. Our June weather around here can sometimes still be nice, it shouldn't be TOO hot by then (fingers crossed). I have a doe who will be kidding soon and I may change my mind on having them kid in the middle of winter too-so maybe there is a fine line of when to have them kid! We shall see here!

5. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Ive had them due in february, to me that was "ok". I prefer to have them kid between March and June, only because the weather is best then for me. I now HATE haveing them kid in the winter, too cold and its easy for them to get sick