Out of interest...

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by MadHouse, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Full time day job

43.3%
  2. Part time day job

23.3%
  3. Parent/Caregiver

46.7%
  4. Work from home

10.0%
  5. (“Just”) looking after my animals

30.0%
  6. Retired

6.7%
  7. College/university Student/online courses

26.7%
  8. Volunteer

6.7%
  9. Farm business

23.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

I am glad your arm is finally better! Let’s hope you get relief with your back too!
    Your kids and neighbours are very lucky to have you!

2. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thank You! It's been a blessing to use my arm more. No way I could have gotten through kidding season as well as I did had it not gotten better.

3. lovinglife

lovinglife Active Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Southern Idaho
    I work full time add 2 hours a day commute, which I also drive the commuter van. I get up at 4:30 do the milking, get ready for work come home do the milking, fix supper for the family, then help my aging mom with whatever she needs. It's better now, before my husband was always gone then I had to do all the feeding, watering, mowing and gardening as well. I think I must have been totally crazy to take all that on.

Edit to update on the one doe I was waiting on, she had 5!!! 5 kids from my best Nubian! One was a tiny runt with deformed whole back end so we put him down, the other 4 are doing great. Then an hour later my big Alpine had huge twins, so super busy.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  4. lovinglife

lovinglife Active Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Southern Idaho
    LOL so does that mean I am crazy or just insomniac? Summers were hard but it sure made me happy when fall hit and canning season was over. Of course then in November when I had time to make cheese I had no milk! It is better now my husband is home, this summer he will even take over morning milking, I won't give up evening milking because that is my time with the girls who I adore. BUT I am crazy because this year we have two mini Jersey cross heifers to calve and then we will be milking them as well, butter and cheese here I come!

5. MadHouse

That will be a LOT of milking! By hand?

6. lovinglife

lovinglife Active Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Southern Idaho
    LOL no WAY! I have a small milking system. Right now I milk by hand as I only have two does fresh, one who I HOPE kids today but not looking promising..

7. MadHouse

Good luck! Hope she doesn’t make tou wait too long!

8. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Wow, you are definitely super busy Lovinglife! Whew, I am exhausted just reading your post!

I didn't mention in my post that my husband works 6 days a week. He works with horses, and used to work nights this time of year (foaling), and would work 7pm-6am 6-7 nights a week for years. The farm before this one, he did nightwatch and foaling working anywhere from 60-70 hours a week. It was crazy, but he loved the income it generated.
    Now that he is in management, he's on days, and works 6 days/48 hours a week. It's so hard to get things done, as his day off is about the only day we can really work on anything.

9. KNemitzfarm

KNemitzfarm Member

Dec 27, 2019
    Michigan
    I work full time as a greenhouse manager/ main worker. I used to also work for a dairy farmer, but it got to be too much working 2 jobs, raising goats, cleaning house and cooking homemade meals every day lol. My goats I breed, and raise the kids for 4H kids.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020