Out with my dogs

Discussion in 'Photogenic' started by bleatinghearts, Dec 20, 2010.

1. bleatinghearts

bleatinghearts New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    I went out for a ride with my dogs on Sunday. Its been a steady 20 below or less for a long time. I cant wait for it to warm up. Even just a little. I look so silly in the frozed pic. I really dont look like that (i hope). :p

Attached Files:

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I love your Dogs...and what a cute frozen face....Brr...that looks so cold..... :wink: :help: :laugh:

3. Hush Hills Fainters

Hush Hills Fainters New Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Looks fun, but coooooooooolllllddddddd!!!!!

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Beautiful...but wow, your eyelashes are frozen! Brrrrrrr! and I think it is cold here....Lord have Mercy!

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Goodness it looks cold! But beautiful! Looks like your dogs really enjoy their job.

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Whew! and I was just warmed up from coming inside!!

brr, but it's warmer down here thank goodness.

7. jduwall

jduwall New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    OK I promise I will not complain about the cold in PA anymore.....I can't believe your eyelashes....holy cow

8. That is AWESOME!!!! I would love to go on a sled someday! Your dogs look like they are enjoying themselves! How do the goats live up there?? I mean do you have to do anything special cause it's so cold?

9. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Beautiful snowscape! Who plowed the pathway?

Deb Mc

10. bleatinghearts

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    The goats dont like 20 below much and I must say...I'm getting a little tired of it myself! Everyone has heat lights and plug in heated buckets for their water. I still have to top them off two times a day with warm/hot water so they drink enough. We've got 8 goats and there are two goats to a house. They share one heatlight and I have cams in two of the houses so I can make sure theres noone boot'en anyone away from the heat. They eat outside at a covered feeder that my hubby built and I keep hay on the ground so that they dont have to stand with frozen feet. The chickens are getting tired of being cooped up. The dogs looooove going out for a run. I dont keep anyone on chains so they can lay together and play together. They are amaizing in the cold. The rabbit stays indoors untill it gets back to 0 or so, then we will open up the cat door and she can come and go. Cats don't even want to look out the window right now.

11. LOL.............I don't blame them! I wouldn't want to go outside either. I hate it being 20 here, and having to deal with frozen hoses. I can't even IMAGINE -20 eeekkk! :shocked:

12. bleatinghearts

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    I was on a trail that was groomed by Lance Mackey and Ken Anderson's people. Lance and Ken are professional mushers (I am not) and they train in the same area. This is about 3 miles away from my house. Part of the time we run next to the pipeline. There are trails all over the place here. Lots of them are groomed like this one. It really is an amazing place to live. Right after I took the picture of my face, I ran into two moose. I was yelling and waving my arms looking rediculous and they got off the trail (thank goodness!)

13. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Yeah I'd say Lance is like a celebrity here right?
    he's got 5 consecutive Iditarod wins, and he won the Yukon too.

That's cool you don't chain your dogs, how many do you have?
    The dog lots down here (mostly out Knik) (like Redington's...) have quite a few, and boy are they loud LOL!

14. bleatinghearts

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    It's so nice not to have to chain up the dogs. We have two dog yards that have three dogs in each yard. There is a gate between the two yards. Then there's my husbands dog, a Malamute named Diesel. So seven all together. It's my job to understand there personalitys so that problems don't arise. Routine is important and keeping myself out of little their little spats is also important. They work stuff out on their oun much better than I ever could.
    Huskys would love to eat chickens and Chase baby goats till they died so I also have to always be a step ahead of them so my animals are protected from my animals.

15. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Oh, I am sooooooo jealous. What a great looking team. I play around with my dogs, (not huskies) in the winter and have taught them to pull my little kicksled. It is so much fun. I am addicted. Wish I had regular groomed trails and less hills.....lol.... You are so lucky to be in that area where there are lots of other mushers. How long have you lived in the area??? How deep is the snow and how many hours of daylight do you get???

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Yes it is cold, wow those pictures are beautiful. I LOVE the look on your face, yes it looks cold but it looks like you are having a blast.

17. bleatinghearts

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    I love it too. Sometimes its hard to get motivated to go but once we get out there, its great. I know other mushers but I've only gone out by myself or with a rider. I'm not competitive at all, so racing isn’t my bag. Just me and my dogs is how I like it.
    We've lived here a little over four years now. Before that we were in Dutch Harbor for about a year and a half where I got to be the animal control officer (fun but sad job). We were commercial fisherman before that out of Southeast Alaska.
    We don’t have that much snow right now. Remember that freezing rain storm that Katrina talked about a few weeks ago? Well, it did bad things to our snow. That was crazy!
    Today is the shortest day light day :scratch: of the year. Happy Equinox everyone! It says that sunrise was at 11:00am and sunset should be 2:40pm. Tomorrow we leave for Coeur d'Alene, Id. It’s going to be sooooo warm!