The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought a bred doe in April and based upon the date he gave us she should have already kidded. Is it common for a boer doe to be over due 4 or 5 days?

·
14,615 Posts
When they get really huge I feel your pain. Maybe quads?
Unless she took from early to mid April she still may have a few weeks.;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still no kids. Doe is acting normal. Her belly is starting to drop but I really starting to get nervous now. She and the other older paint doe that I bought with her, were bred on the same days. 2/31/13 and then again on 3/7/13. Old Paint doe had triplets on 7/29/13 like clockwork.

So I would put her at 12 days over due!! This is the best doe I have and I don't want to lose her. Should I get some Lute from the vet?

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
one thing I have learned is Goats have their own timing...a due date is an estimate not a promise ; )
I wouldn't Lute her unless she is under stress, acting in labor with no progress ect...Or at least have a vet look at her and see if he thinks its time to step in....as long as she is well...eating drinking, acting normal..not stressed, I would give her a bit longer..

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
If there is zero chance that she was bred on a later date then yes, lute would be a good idea, but if there is any doubt that she could have been bred at a later date then I would not use it. I have never had a doe go more than 4 days over due, so I would assume that your girl maybe got bred 3 weeks after the last breeding date, or the kids are dead, but usually a doe's body will try to get rid of the dead kids before they become a problem. Is she uddered up any? How do her ligaments feel?

Could you post a picture of her from behind so we can see what she looks like?

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
When was the very last day that she was housed with a buck? Udder filling up at all? And yes, pictures would help.

It is impossible for two does to come into heat on 2/31/13 and then on 3/7/13. First of all, they would both have had to come into a 5 day heat (in their case 7 day heat). Second, there is no 2/31- February only has 28 days.

·
2,377 Posts
Oh.. pictures will help so much if you get some time. I would watch this doe carefully, and see how she is eating. When I suspect a doe going into labor within a day or so.. I give them a spoonful of 'candy' energy mix. I mix about 4 crushed tums, probios powder and molasses and give it to the mamma doe. They ususally love this treat and lick it all up. The calcium will help with contractions to be stronger and help prevent 'milk fever'. Also.. see if she will drink water with molasses in it. I give that to Does in labor.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
When a Doe has multiples, sometimes, it takes a bit longer to brew.

I would love to see pics of her pooch area, with rear shot showing her tummy sides, a side view tailhead area.

Is she softening up/dropping around her tailhead? Has she lost her ligs?

Is her vulva sloppy/ loose?

How is her udder? Firm full/ filling?

If at all in doubt or concerned, contact a knowledgeable goat vet to look at her.

Lute should only be used, if she is under duress or way over due. But, you must be absolutely sure of her Due date.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When was the very last day that she was housed with a buck? Udder filling up at all? And yes, pictures would help.

It is impossible for two does to come into heat on 2/31/13 and then on 3/7/13. First of all, they would both have had to come into a 5 day heat (in their case 7 day heat). Second, there is no 2/31- February only has 28 days.
Oops. I meant the 2/28 and 3/7. There is a change that it didn't take and that she was bred again later. Not likely but can't be ruled out, however it is starting to look more that way every passing day.

The vet said to just wait. She is still eating, drinking, and being a goat. Everytime I go out to the barn I hope I see little babies....

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Still no kids. Doe is acting normal. Her belly is starting to drop but I really starting to get nervous now. She and the other older paint doe that I bought with her, were bred on the same days. 2/31/13 and then again on 3/7/13. Old Paint doe had triplets on 7/29/13 like clockwork.

So I would put her at 12 days over due!! This is the best doe I have and I don't want to lose her. Should I get some Lute from the vet?
If her belly is dropping, she is getting ready and it shouldn't be long - probably less than a week if my girls are any guide. Personally, I would never lute to induce labor unless there was a much better reason than a doe being overdue. This is exactly why I don't worry about due dates. Does will kid when THEY are darned good and ready, in my honest opinion, and they don't give a flip about our schedules. ;)

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
It will happen...waiting for a goat to kid is like watching paint dry : )

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
You know, now that you mention it, I've never watched paint dry either. ;) :laugh:

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Yeah, it sounds like she still has some time to go. It might get tough to watch her all the time, but it lessens the risk of you missing the birth! Happy waiting! :)

You know, now that you mention it, I've never watched paint dry either. ;) :laugh:
Ha! I used to try to watch grass grow when I was a kid. Not nearly as suspenseful as watching a full term doe! :D

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I guess I'm either weird or I've had way too much practice calving out heifers, because I don't see kidding does as being suspenseful. It is simply an interruption of my normal sleeping patterns which tends to result in me becoming cranky as a bear with a sore tooth, and a major pain in the butt! Feel free to call me jaded if you like. I love the babies, and I love watching them being born and learning how to do all of the normal baby things - my personal favorite is when they start that head bobbing thing at about a day old and then progress to bouncing their whole body around - but there has got to be a better way to get them here than sitting up all night, checking does every few hours, and waiting for kids to be born. :rolleyes:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts