Over due goat

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by woffinden, Jan 17, 2013.

1. woffinden

woffinden Junior Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Worland, WY
    Hi all!
    I have an older nigerian dwarf doe that was due three days ago. She lost her tendons yesterday, well over 24 hours ago, and is still showing no signs of labor. I am nervous because of her age and have never had a doe go more than 24 hours after her tendons disappeared. There is no mucus or any discharge. She is completely bagged up. Should I have her induced? If so, how?
    Thanks, Vanessa

2. FlyingFeetsFarm

FlyingFeetsFarm Junior Member

Nov 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Three days over due isn't that much, if she gets over day 160 then I would worry. If she is not acting distressed I wouldn't worry too much. If you are experienced you can always stick one finger in (very gentlely and slowly) and see if you feel anything, but you're better off just waiting. Inducing can lead to complications, she is probably just waiting for them to get in position.

3. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Are you certain of her breed date? I don't know about nigies...but I've never had a Myo go over 150 days. I would check her to see if she is dialating. If not, you may want to induce her but I would also wait until day 155 for that. And if you are not 100% positive about her due date... I definitely would not induce at all. Has she acted off at all?

4. LilBleatsFarm

LilBleatsFarm Premier Colorado Nigerian Dwarf Breeder

Jul 18, 2012
    Colorado
    I'm with flyingfeets. Go with your instincts. If she appears ok then give it a bit more time. And doing a finger check can't hurt a thing.

Has she been getting lots of good calcium? If not, then maybe start her on a few tums/day.

hth,