The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was sitting here milking and I noticed that one of my does (tied to the wall in front of me) was not setting her foot all the way down on the floor. She is "low lady on the totem pole" and is always getting pushed around and it looks like she has something going on with her front knee. In horses we call this "behind at the knee". Her other leg is nice and straight but this one looks like someone bent it backward a little too far. Anyone have any experience with something like this? I separated her from the bossy bunch and I'm hoping she just needs to take it easy for a while. I will take a photo this evening and post it.
(Negative for CAE/CL/Johnes - March 2019)

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,511 Posts
Yes please get us a photo. Palpate the area to see if there is pain or if you can locate a specific source of pain. Check the hoof as well. Look for any external injuries under the hair.

Most importantly, I am just curious if she is in a clear amount of pain.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trust me... no pain... I have her with only 4 does... I open the gate... they RACE... buck Jump .. and twist all the way to the milk stand. That's why I'm baffled. No swelling, no heat, no lumps. I should be able to post a photo about 7 CST.

·
Registered
8,650 Posts
What is her mineral supplementation like?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are a couple of pictures. This is Dash. She's a mini Lamancha that freshened in March as a FF. She has access to loose mineral (Sweetlix meat maker or Superior Fence red mineral) and she's fed twice a day, on the stand, a mixture of 16% lactating doe feed (TN Coop #348), 15% CPC goat pellet, alfalfa pellets, and shredded beet pulp. I have a video to share too. In the video she is the black & tan doe.

Attachments

·
I'm watching you
22,525 Posts
Her hooves are way long in the toes. The hair line should be parallel to the ground.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I admit that I struggle with the toe area due to not wanting to draw blood. I will use my electric hoof knife and see if I can get that toe angle correct without "quicking" her.

·
Registered
8,650 Posts
I use an Electric Hoof Knife, too.

What is the selenium level of the Superior Fence Red Mineral? The Vitamin D-3 level? Do you know if it has any boron in it?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What is the selenium level of the Superior Fence Red Mineral? The Vitamin D-3 level? Do you know if it has any boron in it?[/QUOTE]

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've never heard of boron in a goat mineral. What brand of mineral do you feed? I've switched several times over the past 6 years trying to find one that they will eat enough to keep their "black" coats. We also keep out cobalt blocks and I have a couple of does that get Replamin gel about once a month.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, we buy it at Superior Fence in Glasgow - I just couldn't remember the name so I sent our salesman an message & he sent me the tag info.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm going to do some research on hyper extended knee rehab in horses. . . . . I suspect this may be a mineral deficiency due to breeding too young. (dang it) I don't usually breed my does to freshen until they are 2 but I REALLY wanted to see what her udder would look like.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
I would work one fixing her hooves as that appears to be some of the issue. Dont worry too much about her bleeding. Even the best still nick their goats and long as you have blood stop on hand you will be okay.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
I would work one fixing her hooves as that appears to be some of the issue. Dont worry too much about her bleeding. Even the best still nick their goats and long as you have blood stop on hand you will be okay.

·
Registered
8,650 Posts
I rotate minerals and try new ones that look good whenever I can. But my favourite is Co-op Supreme Goat Mineral, product # 96216

If you are interested, you can buy it at Stockdales in Bowling Green. Exit 22. That's where I used to buy it.

btw, it doesn't have Boron listed either. Minerals rarely have it. But it is more necessary to skeletal and joint health than people realize. So we should start thinking about how to include it.

Almost everyone has to supplement copper even with quality minerals. The only one I've found available to me that handles the copper need is Cargill's Onyx. But I can't get it any more. Pout.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts