The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, fortunately- we -so far have been able to keep our goats and are still planning on moving forward with having them bred as soon as possible. The problem is that two of the 5 does are so fat. .. I mean very fat! Not only are they fat but they are also huge in bone structure which is good but I feel that I can not have them bred until the weight actually comes off of them.

What are they eating? Well.. this has been the most prolific year of acorns that we have ever seen on our property. One of these just scoops all these up like a vacuum. I have finally raked out a small pen, moved the two into it and am desperately trying to thin them down. The problem is this:

This diet of acorns has lacked in balanced nutrition and not only are they fat but they are deprived of good food. At this time I have them on about 3/4s cup of the Noble goat feed, free choice minerals and a bit of oat hay. There is no food in their pen at all as it is bare dirt and they are bored, unhappy and unable to exercise.
Q: What to do to help get their nutritional needs be met and not too rapid of weight loss?

·
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Amazingly, these two.. the chubbiest of them loves to run up and down the hill. She is so fat but will run and play up and down the steep hill. Their bones are strong from exercise but this weight is going to deform the bones and they are not ready for pregnancy. They eat way faster than the other goats so need to be separated with rations. I will get pictures in a minute.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Could you get them off the acorns, get them off grain, and just switch them over to a good grass/timothy hay? Along with minerals of course :) Maybe put some things in their pen they can jump on? That would help with boredom and lack of exercise..

·
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are the Tubs. I know some may think that these are not fat but if you felt their neck area, you would say.. Oh that is just so sad. I feel so bad that they have gotten this way. It truly is the acorns.

Attachments

·
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok.. they are off of the acorns as of yesterday. I was worried about the nutrition issue of taking them off the pellets. It isnt a grain but is alfalfa based noble goat. I do have timothy hay and the oat hay. I am not sure why they feel a need to just eat everything all the time.. even bark off the trees and I think that they have nutritional issues. Gosh they are so fat. Is loosing weight too quickly going to be really bad on their health?

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Well, I wouldn't expect the weight to just fall off. So they should be fine. If the timothy hay is good, they should just need that and minerals to be healthy.

·
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have another larger pen with only two trees and will try to put them in there after I rake up the acorns. They could run and jump around in there.

·
Super Moderator
59,265 Posts
Do you have a good loose mineral out for them? A good loose goat mineral has more of what they need in minerals than any feed.

You may have to limit their hay too. But see how they do on just hay and minerals.

·
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok.. thanks.. I will do my best to help them. I didnt know that they were this fat. I have been busy... cut out most of their food and ...well.. watched them zip all over the place on the hill property and thot they were fine. NO.. they are obese and now I feel terrible.

·
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They do have a good loose mineral that they will eat like it is food. It is a good balance mineral. They have recently been coppered up and given E-selenium. I was hoping to breed them come the first of Nov.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts