Overdosing Copper.

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Champion Fence Jumpers, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Champion Fence Jumpers

Champion Fence Jumpers Active Member

Feb 9, 2020
    Texas
    Hi, I am wondering if it would be safe to give a 4 gram copper bolus to my 11 month old ND. She is around 40 pounds. Only reason I don’t really want to buy the 2 gram is because I have two other does I have to copper bolus and they need more than 2 grams. Is there a chance of overdosing her?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    For smaller goats and dosage.
    What I do is, carefully open the capsule and pour out 1/2 of it, put the capsules back together and Walla, you have a 2 gram bolus. ;)

3. Champion Fence Jumpers

Feb 9, 2020
    Texas
    That’s a good idea! What do you do with the stuff you poured out? Put it in a banana?

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  4. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Sure, a banana works. Save the bolus for another time or another goat.

5. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Before you dose - is the goat actually copper deficient?

6. Champion Fence Jumpers

Feb 9, 2020
    Texas
    Yes I think so, her coat is fading into brown (She is supposed to be jet black) in some parts and the bridge of her nose is balding.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    NigerianDwarfOwner707 likes this.
  7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  8. Champion Fence Jumpers

Feb 9, 2020
    Texas
    I can take a picture tomorrow of her so I can get a second opinion. :)

9. Champion Fence Jumpers

Feb 9, 2020
    Texas
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  10. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

11. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Quick question - I mentor people a lot on copper deficiency, and she is a really good example of some of the symptoms. Would you mind I used that photo as an example photo to show some friends?

12. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

*gasps enthusiastically* I didn't know bridge of nose baldness was a copper deficiency sign. My Bella has that and I just gave her a copper bolus for some rusting I was seeing. Maybe it will clear that up too!

13. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Copper, sometimes zinc.

MellonFriend likes this.
  14. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I looked up zinc deficiency and I came to the conclusion that it probably wasn't that. I can't remember why...

15. Champion Fence Jumpers

Feb 9, 2020
    Texas
    Of course! :)

16. Champion Fence Jumpers

Feb 9, 2020
    Texas
    Alright so I have two other does that I may have to bolus too. Their noses are balding a little. First doe has what looks like flaky skin on her rump? 4F806313-C2F6-4365-8361-9BB7B0E99C65.jpeg 6474B6F1-D0A4-4BE5-AB20-0DA395079059.jpeg 24911B7B-32ED-4480-B0D6-0F82EB4C1680.jpeg

17. Champion Fence Jumpers

Feb 9, 2020
    Texas
    Here is the other doe. What do y’all think do they need a copper bolus? A1548346-AD8A-49F8-92C7-44E50FF8F1BF.jpeg 2067F269-2C16-4822-998D-9E5AC630A395.jpeg

18. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Yes they all need copper bolus. Personally, with obvious signs of deficiency like that. I think 4 grams would be fine for the first bolus. But some are more cautious than I am with the mienral supplements.

19. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Interesting, all these years and I just assumed the hair loss on the nose this time of year was more from them rubbing on the hay feeders? I'd heard of hair loss around the eyes, or random hair loss, but didn't realize, this balding on the nose was deficiency? Our goats are usually out browsing/grazing outside of winter, and don't eat much hay, so that's what we assumed the hair loss this time of year was from.
    However, this winter has been something else entirely. I've seen more symptoms this winter alone - rough coat, fish tail, and 1 doe has had really poor parasite resistance when she's never had an issue in her life.
    So... last month we gave everyone a bolus, except 4 does. I keep getting behind on that one pen, so we'll work on getting their copper today. One of those does has a very bald nose.

We have a buck that started showing copper deficiency signs. I treated them on 2/17. I worried the one that is showing symptoms was wormy, but there wasn't a single egg in his fecal. He's had some mites that we treated them for. He received about 10-11 grams on 2/17 (230lbs his brother is 250lbs and looks fine). He is shedding out his winter coat like crazy right now, but here are pictures from yesterday. You can see the tail, the rough coat regardless of shedding, bridge of his nose is bald but he is bad about rubbing his head and face on everything (just tore through the last bit of wire fence he had access to ugh!) so we'd assumed that was the case. Hair is growing back in you can see in a video below some lingering spots of Nustock.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took these pictures to show new goat friends what deficiency looks like.

This is a video of them from yesterday

I'm planning to put Nustock on his tail tip just to see if it does anything for him. We're starting to change their feed which will be higher in copper with the supplements, so I am hoping along with bolus' and feed change, that will be enough. I can get these guys to eat loose minerals a bit, but overall no matter what kind I've tried over the years, our goats are just not big mineral eaters...