The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a problem with this? My 4 wethers (5mos old) devour these if left free choice. The Manna goat minerals bag recommends 1/4-1/2 ounce/goat/day, which is very small when weiged out. Also, do they even need soda if only on hay/pasture/browse? New to goats, but my understanding it soda is for grain blo

·
14,615 Posts
Those ding dong boys can really scarf down the minerals. Maybe just leave a reasonable amount out?
My herd doesn't get free choice baking soda unless I see a problem. Only once in several years.

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
When did you get the boys? When did you start putting out the minerals?

When my girls first got the minerals, they ate them like crazy but then as time went on, they slowed down. Now they only eat what they need. Some days they go through a lot and some days they don't eat any.

Don't put out free choice baking soda.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Monitor over the first week and then they should be fine to give free choice. My goats will not allow me to give baking soda free choice. I would go broke they would eat so much of it.

Personally I think they just like the way it fizzles :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank u. I think I'll stop putting out baking soda altogether. They have received free choice minerals since I got them at about 7 weeks old. They never cared about the minerals that much until they stopped getting grain at 3.5 mos. (one kid got UC so stopped all grain). I have started measuring out the minerals into 4 separate feeders but it is a feeding frenzy...fighting, pushing, the whole nine yards so never really sure who gets what. Hopefully, they will grow out of this?

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
If you stopped the grain, then they are associating the minerals as grain. What about feeding them a little bit of alfalfa pellets daily. That is usually a safe thing and maybe help with not attacking the minerals anymore.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts