overheated kid? or something else?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by chiara, Aug 14, 2010.

1. chiara

chiara New Member

Nov 21, 2009
    portland, or
    Hi all,

my 8 week old Nigeria/ lamancha doeling, smallest of triplets, was fine this morning. temps got pretty hot pretty quickly today, thermometer reads 98 degrees at 2:30 pm. went out to the pen, everyone else seems fine except this one little girl who is laying down off by herself, super lethargic. brought her in to the a/c, took temp, 105.7, but 15 minutes later it's 103.6. She's napping on my window seat after leaping up there on her own. Is she just overheated? I've seen her poop and pee since she came in, both look totally normal. Should I be more worried than I am, or should I just keep her inside until this evening when it cools down some? Thanks in advance to all of you folks. This forum has been a lifesaver!

Chiara

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Will she take some milk from a bottle. You don't want her to get dehydrated. It does sound like she might have become overheated. Are her eyes running at all? Nose running? coughing? any thing out of the ordinary?

3. chiara

chiara New Member

Nov 21, 2009
    portland, or
    eyes and nose are not running, no coughing or sneezing. but she's just laying on my window seat with her eyes half closed. she's never taken a bottle before, but I can give it a try. Is milk better than water?

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    As long as she is responding to the cooler temp and all other functions are normal then I would say she will be fine. But if she is dehydrated and still acting lethargic then she will need fluids either SQ fluids or if she will nurse or drink make sure she gets plenty.

Keep an eye on her temp, don't want it to get to low either. After getting so hot sometimes it drops suddently and that can be bad for a young kid especially.

5. chiara

chiara New Member

Nov 21, 2009
    portland, or
    also she drank a couple of sips of water on her own just now. just took her temp again, at 104.4, but i think the last temp i took at 103.6 was possibly inaccurate since she pooped right in the middle of the reading. So she's still down a degree from when she was in the sun, but is not acting her usual bouncy self. Is there anything else i can do for her besides trying the bottle?

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    How long has she been in the house? It takes time for their temp to go down. But if it doesn't drop more then she may be fighting something and need an antibiotic shot (but I would rather wait on that to make sure its necessary).

I wouldn't worry about the botte - if she isn't use to the bottle it will be more stressful on her to try that. But if you want to try you can just don't force her if she doesn't take to it.

Do you have her mom? Can you take her out to nurse?

7. chiara

chiara New Member

Nov 21, 2009
    portland, or
    she's been in for about 30-45 minutes now. the bottle was a complete failure. i do have her mom. I'll try to take her out to nurse.

8. chiara

chiara New Member

Nov 21, 2009
    portland, or
    she wouldn't nurse. didn't even try. and her mom just kept walking away from her and hanging out with the other two kids, who are fine, don
    't look afected by the heat at all. the little doeling just stood there, head down some, didn't move at al. she's doing the same thing back inside now. should i call the vet? of course it's sat afternoon, so my window for seeing them is rapidly closing.

9. chiara

chiara New Member

Nov 21, 2009
    portland, or
    her gums are white, mostly ... worried!!

10. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    She is probably dehydrated.... I'd drench her with electrolytes. Also, when was she last wormed? Have you treated for coccidia?

11. chiara

chiara New Member

Nov 21, 2009
    portland, or
    she has been treated with sulmet. everyone finished their cycle a couple of days a go. she's still very lethargic ... she keep stretching her neck up into the air, seems to be finding it hard to stay awake ... any help would be appreciated!

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    In my opinion... I think I would get a vet involved... I am concerned ....as she sounds as if she is getting worse.....she may be so dehydrated ....that a vet may need to put a IV into her.....and they can check her over.. :hug:

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    is her temp still high? sounds like she needs IV or SQ fluids. If you can drench her with electrolytes that will do for now until you can get the other options.

14. chiara

chiara New Member

Nov 21, 2009
    portland, or
    saw the vet. he pumped her full of fluids and antibiotics. he looked at her urine and says her kidneys aren't functioning very well, points to wither toxin intake (unlikely, since she hasn't been out of the pen and everyone else is fine) or septicemia. either way he says his prognosis of whether she'll make it through the night is guarded. she's not perking up at all. super sad. if she looks like she can stand i'll isolate her with mom tonight but if she stays like this I'll keep her in. he gave her 1/2 litre of fluids, which he says should be enough to see her through until tomorrow. i'm super sad.

15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am praying for the baby..... :hug: :pray:

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I pulled a goat through something similar - what antibiotic did he give her and what was the dosage? did he give banamine? have you given her any Bcomplex?

Have you given any probios or nutri drench? MOM is great too

17. chiara

chiara New Member

Nov 21, 2009
    portland, or
    gave nutridrench before we went to see the vet. here's what he gave her:

14mg ketoprofen im
    25mg reftiofur im
    50mg Excede sq
    200mg thiamine sq
    800ml LRS sq (iv fluids, i think. she's blown up like a balloon.)

she's just laying there, not perking up at all really, although she is lifting her head up when i walk by.

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    whats her temp?

So she isnt absorbing the SQ fluids?

19. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    800ml of fluids when her kidneys aren't working good ?!?!?! :shocked: :shocked:

The antibiotic he gave is a good one, and glad he gave thiamine...

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sorry meant IV fluids.

And yah thats a lot of fluids for a young kid especially who has kidney issues. I am afraid he might have done more harm then good with that :( real worried about that