The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little Ozzie is sick!!! I don't know what he has, but his nose is all runny and he sneezes and coughs quite a bit... Like a cold... He doesn't stay with the other goats, like normal, he goes and stands in the doorway off by himself...
It got pretty cold last night, I'm not sure if that's a factor??? I'm probably getting worked up over nothing, but he's so sweet and he's small so he can't afford to lose lots of weight or anything... So can anyone tell me what it is, how to treat it, etc??? Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
awww I hope he gets better soon, I will let more experienced goat parents guide you

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I am not very experienced, but it might be lungworms. They do cause a cough, but it is weird that it came on so suddenly. When's the last time he was wormed? Have you ever done fecal tests?

·
stonebrokefarm
158 Posts
Have you taken his temp yet? That will give you a starting point with how serious it is....if he is running a temp then there is definitely something brewing.......

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
Yes..get his temp..sound like he could have phenomia ...101.5-103.5 is norml range...I have two tonight Im having to treat..

Keep him hydrated with good electorlytes...(recipe to follow)
A shot of B complex to give him a boost...
let us know his temp...if its high them OTC choice for me would be Tylan 200 1 cc per 25# sub Q every 12 hours...Banamine for discomfort and fever reducer...

Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses or what you have on hand or honey
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am not very experienced, but it might be lungworms. They do cause a cough, but it is weird that it came on so suddenly. When's the last time he was wormed? Have you ever done fecal tests?
I not sure when he was wormed last... I got him June 2012, 3 months after his birth or so...
And no I've never done fecal tests :/ sorry, I'm kinda an amateur!
But yes, it came on VERY suddenly. He was fine last night, and then this morning the other two were outside so I started to worry, and when I went in the barn to feed them he was just standing in the doorway to the outdoor pasture by himself... His hair was all puffed out like he was cold, and you could tell he was kinda "shrunken" together, or scrunched up, or however you want to word it.
He only coughs a little bit, and I'm wondering if its just him inhaling his grain too fast, he tends to do that. But man, is his nose snotty! It was all over his nasal area! I wiped most off... I'll look and see tomorrow morning before school if he has any diarrhea. This time last year he got something similar, snotty nose, and lots and lots of diarrhea... That was before we knew about pepto bismo for goats, so we tried all the other tricks, like yogurt... He wouldn't eat it... So eventually he got over it naturally!

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
Yep my two girls were fine this morning...then this after noon they werent 1 one with 105 the other 104 temp...came on fast....change in weather is hard on goats...

Pepto is great for the runs..sooths the tummy and dries the bum...but finding out why they scour is really important too..color of poop helps .....greenish tint is usually dietary..dark brown to black could be worms or cocci

i would have a fecal done as well, if thats not possible ask yourself these questions about him

is his coat sleek and glossy? ( if not he could be wormy)
Are his lower inner lids bright pink to red? ( if pale he is anemic and most likely wormy, he will need additional treatment for anemia)
Are his gum pink? (again shows anemia)
Is he in good shape..not too thin? ( heavy worm load can make them very thin)

If you find that you cant say yes to more than one of these and since you have not wormed him, Now would be a good time...I use either valbazen which is 1 cc per 10# orally or Ivomec plus 1 cc per 40# SubQ (under the skin) both these medication treat a broad scope of worms, including liver fluke...I would treat 3 times 10 days apart then once more in 30 days . this will give him a good start...

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I could like happy's post more then once I would. Cold nights and warm days can be bad for goaties.
Wondering if that's what it is. It got down to the 50°s or so last night, and got up to almost the 80°s during the day...
I know, I know, I should have one, but I don't, so I don't need some lecture on how unsafe I am for not having one, but I don't have a thermometer... Anyone know where I can get one...? TSC?
Thanks...
I'm so worried... Should I be?

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes..get his temp..sound like he could have phenomia ...101.5-103.5 is norml range...I have two tonight Im having to treat..

Keep him hydrated with good electorlytes...(recipe to follow)
A shot of B complex to give him a boost...
let us know his temp...if its high them OTC choice for me would be Tylan 200 1 cc per 25# sub Q every 12 hours...Banamine for discomfort and fever reducer...

Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses or what you have on hand or honey
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.
How hot should the water be?

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Don't worry too much Sarah! If you do all that that Cathy said, or let the vet do it anyways, he should be fine. :hug: At the very least, get the electrolytes into him tonight if you can. That ought to give him a boost.

I think you can get Tylan (medicine for drying up his lungs) at tractor supply if that helps.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Wondering if that's what it is. It got down to the 50°s or so last night, and got up to almost the 80°s during the day...
I know, I know, I should have one, but I don't, so I don't need some lecture on how unsafe I am for not having one, but I don't have a thermometer... Anyone know where I can get one...? TSC?
Thanks...
I'm so worried... Should I be?
If you have an extra human thermometer, that should work fine.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Sarah! I'm in bed, can it wait till tomorrow morning??? Or should I go now?!

·
stonebrokefarm
158 Posts
If you don't have a "barn" thermometer do you have one in the house that you and your family use? You could just replace it later on.......it doesn't have to be a special one....just one you use for 2legs......

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
If you can give him electros tonight, that would be good. Might help till morning. You can use a turkey baster to drench him with it if you have one.

·
Registered
30,566 Posts

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks!

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
From what you said in this post..he is feeling pretty stinking bad...I wouldnt wait..but if its not safe to go out..then dont ;).... The water for the elctroltes should be warm to the touch..not too hot.
What antibiotics do you have on hand??

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
From what you said in this post..he is feeling pretty stinking bad...I wouldnt wait..but if its not safe to go out..then dont ;).... The water for the elctroltes should be warm to the touch..not too hot.
What antibiotics do you have on hand??
Um... None?
I don't think I can go out, A)coyotes and stuff and B) my parents don't want me to....
Is it more just helping him I discomfort, or is it vital to survival or something?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts