P-Test for goats

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Nigerian dwarf goat, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
  2. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    I think i saw where the urine tests arent reliable. Blood is the way to go.

3. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Do I just take the blood test to the vet?

4. bisonviewfarm

bisonviewfarm Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2015
    CO
    Horrible I tried them a few years back and I dont think a single one was right. Big waste of money I will second blood test so much more reliable!

wifeof1 and Nigerian dwarf goat like this.
  5. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    thank you!
    how much are the blood test?

6. bisonviewfarm

bisonviewfarm Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2015
    CO
    Price depends on if you do it yourself or use a vet & which lab you use Ive seen $3.50-$6.50 plus shipping small flate rate $7.20

toth boer goats likes this.
  7. wifeof1

wifeof1 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2016
    Boulevard, CA
    Not only are the p-test unreliable, it's harder than heck to get the PEE sample. Once they know you are needing that they quit letting you watch them PEE. It's a conspiracy.

8. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I agree, I've never heard any positives about any test other than blood or ultrasound.

Price would be: can you draw blood or need a vet to do it? you need the 3mL red top tube.
    Using a vet, local lab or shipping it out? If shipping out you'd have to secure it in a plastic baggie, and use some form of packing to keep it from rolling around in a small box, guessing $7 for shipping if you wad up newspaper/scrap paper to put around it. I want to say Biotracking is like $6 per test? You can google Biotracking and find a lab nearest you.
    I'm in KY and I've sent a blood test to one I believe in southern KY.

You can ask your vet if there is a lab you can go to that is local.
    The University of Kentucky Livestock Diagnostics Lab is about 20 minutes or so away from me, and that's where I've started taking mine. My husband can do the blood draw, and I buy my red top tubes from a local equine hospital. It's $3 for the test, but a 1 time fee of $10 each time you drop off samples. So... $13 for 1 test. About the same as mailing it out. If I have it there by Wed 8:30am, I have results that afternoon. We honestly only tested a couple of times before this past fall, and did all 6 adult does in the last few months. Now I'll always want to confirm pregnancy like this instead of playing the waiting game lol.

9. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I watched a You-Tube video, and it seemed pretty easy, but i think I'm gonna have the vet do it for the first time...

I wonder if Texas A&M would do the blood test for me. They're about an 1 1/2 away, but i wont have to pay for shipping!! They do necropsy on goats, so I'm sure they could do that.

GoofyGoat likes this.
  10. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I am pretty sure that A&M does it! I will call them later and see for sure

GoofyGoat likes this.
  11. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
  12. IHEARTGOATS

IHEARTGOATS Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Zebulon, NC
    We usually have Dairy One pregnancy test our milk samples.