Pack Goats? Questions

Discussion in 'Pack and Working Goats' started by Nigerian dwarf goat, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Hi! I am going through a stage where I am obsessed with pack goats, so I want to educate myself a little, so IF I do get a couple, I will know at least the basics
    So here are a few questions:
    Can i use wethered Nigerian dwarf crosses?
    Do yall build you'r own little "carts" that go behind them? How?
    What are those little carts that go behind them called? LOL
    Do they have to be registered with a special club like the NAPgA?
    Thank yall
    @Nigerian dwarf goat

2. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

So here are a few questions:
    Can i use wethered Nigerian dwarf crosses?

Yes but the equipment won't fit small goats. You need something around 150# and up.

Do yall build you'r own little "carts" that go behind them? How?

Huh? Pack goats carry saddles and panniers.

What are those little carts that go behind them called? LOL

Maybe you mean cart goats? Damfino's goats are trained for both packing and carting.

Do they have to be registered with a special club like the NAPgA

No, NAPgA is a people club that works on legal issues etc.

Mine have an ADGA wether ID certificate.

toth boer goats and mariarose like this.

3. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    toth boer goats likes this.
  4. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

It is, they mediate with state agencies, follow court battles, put money where it does the most good to keep trails and forests open to pack goats.
    They do more of course, but that is their main focus.

5. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I've seen some fantastic Nigerian crosses used as packgoats. They aren't tall, but the ones I've seen have been very sturdy and strong with excellent conformation and particularly good feet and legs. They're a good choice if you don't plan on going "hard core". I've heard that the Marc Warnke "kid packs" are small enough to fit the Nigerian crosses. Some people have also used dog packs on smaller goats as well.

I always encourage people to join NAPgA if they are interested in packgoats. There's a lot to be learned, and you will be "in the loop" for packgoat events in your area. For example, I'm heading up a small packgoat rendezvous in Texas April 6-7 in Davy Crockett National Forest. I just got the go-ahead from the park rangers today and I'm planning to make an official announcement next week. If you're a NAPgA member we'll have your contact information in the database so you can get email updates.

toth boer goats likes this.
  6. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    So you want to get in to goat carting. Nigies are great in harness. you just need a dog harness and a red wagon

7. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I think I am going to get one! Well, not get one, but i am going to wether a little buckling
    (with my luck, the year I'm asking for just ONE boy, the girls will trow all doelings LOL!!!) this kidding season and try to train him! I am so excited! I will probably keep his horns, because they would look so cool on a pack goat! Many questions ahead!

GoofyGoat likes this.