Pack Goats ?

Discussion in 'Pack and Working Goats' started by RowdyKidz, Apr 3, 2009.

1. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I raise Pygmies and am in 4-H and am planning on taking a pack goat project this year. Would I be OK if I used a nice sized Pygmy approx 22 1/2 inches at the shoulder (grade goat)? Or should I have a standard size goat? I was just going to use one I already had since I can't have any standard size goats. :roll:

And any tips on showing/training a pack goat would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    It should be fine as long as you keep the pack weight around 50% of the goats weight. and you will prolly have to modify a pack. other than that I dont know anything bout showin sry.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I am absolutely positive that you can train a pygmy for pack! Those sturdy solid goaties are stronger than you think :wink:

4. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I figured but I'd rather safe then sorry! Thanks!!

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Of course! They just cant carry as much as a full sized goat. Goats can usually manage about one third of their own body weight when properly conditioned.
    beth

6. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
  7. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    lol of course you can.. the only issue i see with it is with them being so barrel shaped..

I've trained 3 or 4 nigerians to pack.. i bought two kinds of packs to train them,a little saddle pack that goes over the saddle horn to start them, and the packs that people buy for dogs .. works great

don't go over 35% of the body weight.. and to start them just use a small weight ( like.. two pounds) and then gradually increase it