Pack Questions

Discussion in 'Pack and Working Goats' started by Charrae, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Charrae

Charrae New Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Oakdale, CA
    I have a yearling doe that will do anything and go anywhere for me, I want to pack with her. We regularly go on long walks. Shes tall, long and leggy(would this body style work?). How do I adjust a pack like this http://wolfpacks.com/products/dogpacks/saddlebags.html for a goat? I tried it on her and it fit, but would fall off one side to another. I was thinking maybe a butt strap? what material would be best? should it go around her rear legs as one strap or a strap for each leg? Thanks in advanced!

2. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    I'm not able to provide answers to your questions, but I thought this link might be helpful. http://www.napga.org/default.asp?menuID=
    Of course, other members will be able to answer you too, with more hands on experience with what worked for them. :)

3. Charrae

Charrae New Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Oakdale, CA
    oh neat site, thanks!

4. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    northwest pack goats supply is AWESOME, and rex is a really helpful dude

5. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    and the dog packs you posted would work for a very very light load, anything heavier than 10-15 pounds you want a saddle pad and cross braces to help the weight load out

6. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    First you really do not want to pack any goat under 2. We really aim for 3. There are lots of great packs out there but hard packs do not fit does well. I am looking into a new type of pack that is looking like it will fit a doe well. For now I would just start hiking with her. If you have to pack I would look at a soft pack and do not go above 10 lbs with the pack.

7. Charrae

Charrae New Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Oakdale, CA
    Thanks! The pack I'v got is a soft pack, all I want her to carry right now is two bottles of water and maybe a sandwich, so it shouldnt be heavy at all. I just want to get her started on hiking with me and being used to the "outdoors". Thanks so much for the info.