Painful Mouth in Young Kid

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by kornhypknotic, Jun 20, 2009.

1. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    Omg . . . another health issue :hair: . . . hopefully this will just be a flash in the pan compared to the other problems going on.

One of the young wethers I treated yesterday with Sulmet for coccidia is now grinding his teeth, holding his mouth open (like yawning, only it's not a yawn because his jaws are shaking and he's whimpering), crying, and when I touch his cheeks he whimpers. I tried giving him a bottle and he sniffed, nibbled, and jerked away - crying and holding his mouth open. :tears:

He could have eaten a bur or something that's poking him, but when I look in his mouth I don't see a thing!

I coated his mouth with milk and he seemed to feel a little better but I don't know what's going on! If it's a sticker or something pointy in his mouth will it probably just heal on its own? :shrug: It couldn't have been the sulmet could it? I diluted it before giving it to him!

:GAAH:

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I wonder if the sulmet burned his mouth a bit :shrug: I have never used it so I am not sure.... or bottle jaw..... What is his temp?

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I give sulmet straight and have never had an issue like that. So I doubt it's the sulmet unless he is having an allergic reaction to it. Bottle jaw isn't painful so I don't think it's that either.

Is there any way he could have hurt his jaw? Maybe he get rammed be another goat? Does he have any sores in his mouth?

4. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    I suppose he could have gotten popped by another goat . . . there are two sores on the front of his upper palate, but they're not really severe or anything :shrug: