The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just thinking it might be fun to paint some cute designs on my girls’ horns. Do any of you know anything about this? I’m guessing some paints would be potentially harmful, as I would think the horns would absorb a little bit. Maybe some kind of body paint or face paint made for skin would be safe?

·
Registered
735 Posts
I was hoping for more comments on painting horns. I have been pondering this for quite a while. I have found nothing on the internet, though I have not looked very hard. I cannot see painting horns being more dangerous than painting fingernails. It would be nice to know who is who out in the pasture by the colour of their horns. Maybe some nice florescent colours?

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
Think of using acrylic paints like wearing heavy make up or facial lotions, it clogs the pores and prevents the horn from breathing. I’d use a tempra paint like the stuff they use in grade schools for the kindergarten. Michaels carries it in their kids craft section. it will wash off with rain or just water. Totally safe and non toxic

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
I have heard that, but it must not be that important since many goats are disbudded and do fine.
i Have horned and non but the horned have an easier time in the summer versus the disbudded/polled so there’s a lot of truth to it. However most dairy goats have to be dehorned if they’re shown....dumb rule but it is what it is...

·
Registered
566 Posts
i Have horned and non but the horned have an easier time in the summer versus the disbudded/polled so there’s a lot of truth to it. However most dairy goats have to be dehorned if they’re shown....dumb rule but it is what it is...
i know right! That is why i don't poll my goats. And i do have one goat who would be show worthy, but she has horns. so yes, i agree with you.

·
Registered
566 Posts
At the risk of sounding nerdy or obtuse, I have to ask. What do y'all mean by "chemical". Chemicals include things like the oxygen we breath and the water we drink. So it is hard for me to imagine a non-chemical paint.
we mean by paints that are not all natural. And yes, we know that we can not avoid chemicals, but those are natural chemicals that you are talking about. We are talking about man made chemicals.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I did not realize that asking for clarification of a term used in a sense that I do not understand is considered to be a debate. Nor did I know that debating was frowned upon here.
I guess I better not ask for clarification of "toxic" paint.
It’s not that debating is frowned upon here. Plenty of people may give their advice and opinions as they wish. I was just stating earlier how man made chemicals are not healthy. If you wish to disagree, then that is fine. But I am done talking about chemicals, and I don’t want to hijack this thread.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts