The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a young doe I found yesterday that had fluided gathering under her jaw and white eyelids.
I weighed her she is 52lb. then wormed her with Valbazon and cattle/swine injectable ivermectin. Then contacted the vet to see when to give her some cydectin. And she said right away. so she got cydectin too. She made it through the night.
I was woundering what else to do for her. She is in a pen by herself. She is eating hay and nibbling on grain and drinking water. She can see other goats.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
Thats a lot of wormer. I would give her a dose of milk of magnesia ( 1/4 cc per pound)to help rid the dead worm load and prevent toxicity.
Red cell (6 cc per 100#) or injectable pig iron ( 4 cc per 100#) sub Q once a day for a week then once a week until color improves. (NOTE: keep epi (1 cc per 100#), Dexamethasone ( 1 cc per 20#IM) or a large dose of benadryl on hand if you use injectable iron as some goats do react to it)
30 cc of 50/50 acv/water once a day
B 12 or B complex PLUS once a day
hight protein foods and browse.
Smoothies made of dark greens, carrots and celery if she is not eating well.
Keep her hydrated by offering both fresh plain water and a bucket of electrolites to choose from.
Tummy tamer can help support her while she mends
1 teaspoon each cinnamon, cayenne pepper, Ginger, slippery elm, ACV and molasses in enough water to drench. Can do this 2 times a day

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,396 Posts
Thats a lot of wormer. I would give her a dose of milk of magnesia ( 1/4 cc per pound)to help rid the dead worm load and prevent toxicity.
Red cell (6 cc per 100#) or injectable pig iron ( 4 cc per 100#) sub Q once a day for a week then once a week until color improves. (NOTE: keep epi (1 cc per 100#), Dexamethasone ( 1 cc per 20#IM) or a large dose of benadryl on hand if you use injectable iron as some goats do react to it)
30 cc of 50/50 acv/water once a day
B 12 or B complex PLUS once a day
hight protein foods and browse.
Smoothies made of dark greens, carrots and celery if she is not eating well.
Keep her hydrated by offering both fresh plain water and a bucket of electrolites to choose from.
Tummy tamer can help support her while she mends
1 teaspoon each cinnamon, cayenne pepper, Ginger, slippery elm, ACV and molasses in enough water to drench. Can do this 2 times a day
I second all of this.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
Glad she has perked up a bit. Sounds like she loves her mama.
power punch, nutra drench
These are pretty much the same type product. I would choose one or the other. B complex for now is good, but would ask your vet for B12..its RX but fairly inexpensive to purchase.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you. She is a pure bred. And she is from a kidding that was 13 days early and 5 babies. I raised her brother and 1 sister. And then got her and her other sister for bottle feeding another doe kid for a friend. I sold the buck kid.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts