Pam.. she WONT dry up :(

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by goatlady1314, Jul 7, 2014.

1. My girl pam is giving 2 gallons a day and I want to stop milking her for the year, usually when I dry a doe up I milk them half way out for like 3 days and then I just stop and they do really good with that, I tried this on pam but she just wont stop milking it's terrible really:) any suggestions?

2. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Oh gosh if she's like my lamancha it will take for ever!!! Since it takes for ever I never really milk her out all the way. Then when I'm thinking about getting serious about drying her up I slowly wait a little longer every day. Say you milk at 6 in the morning go to 7 the Next day. If she wasn't overly full with just a hour difference then I would milk 9 the next day and slowly make it longer and longer. You also want to back off grain or cut it just about out of her diet. Mine only gets grain while I'm milking her so because I'm milking her less and less she's slowly getting less and less grain as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Goat Forum

3. canyontrailgoats

canyontrailgoats New Member

Jan 4, 2014
    western montana
    Eliminate alfalfa from the diet, and cut down on grain. Sage helps them dry up faster, you can feed it dry or fresh.

4. farmchick897

farmchick897 New Member

Jul 2, 2013
    I'm having the same problem with a Jersey I'm trying to dry up. She is due in September and needs to be dried up!! :/
    She was nursing 3 calves, I took one off, 2 weeks later took another off. Stopped grain completely. Then took the last one off and I've been milking once a day and getting 2 1/2 gallons. Ugh, that too much to just quite milking. She gets a little grain now while I'm milking but hardly any and she is on the thin side so it bugs me I can't feed grain and she won't dry up.

5. Ok im milking her later now shes just miserable :lol: but she'll be fine. Can u gjve sage to a pregnant doe? Just wondering for future reference ;)

6. canyontrailgoats

canyontrailgoats New Member

Jan 4, 2014
    western montana
    I'm pretty sure sage is safe for preggos. At least it was for my doe ;)

7. mjs500doo

mjs500doo Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Boyd, Wisconsin
    We dry cows up 45# a day and under. That's slightly over 5 gallons a day. There is no reason you can't just let her go now. Infuse ToMorrow, pull any protein, and leave her be.

If you want a less-stress route, stop milking Aug 1st at the latest. Go every other day for three days, then every three days for a week, then just stop. They adapt and absorb all milk. On Aug 1st, infuse and leave her be.

Also, send me a couple pics and I can suggest how to properly feed her without spiking her production. Ill need a side pic & a rear view.

8. farmchick897

farmchick897 New Member

Jul 2, 2013
    Thanks! I'll get pictures for you today. I have gone to every other day and this Wednesday my friend is coming over to help me infuse Tomorrow in her (never done it so she will show me how). After we milk her dry. :)

9. farmchick897

farmchick897 New Member

Jul 2, 2013
    Here she is.
    ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1405366972.770728.jpg ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1405366998.027386.jpg ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1405367033.477329.jpg

10. mjs500doo

mjs500doo Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Boyd, Wisconsin
    She's borderline for my personal dry condition. I've dried thinner, but gave a longer dry period to reestablish a healthy cover. She has decent cover through her thighs, pins, and hips. I would feel comfortable with keeping her on her daily ration of grain (whatever you're feeding). You may look into oats as well.

She'll be fine. The milk will reabsorb, she may think she's dying for the first few days, but once she establishes that habit has changed, and gets more comfortable, she'll relax.

Good luck! Can't wait to see baby!