The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
goat girl x0x0
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about switching over to feeding my boy Josh from a bowl instead of a bottle, as he never seemed to learn to not aspirate his milk. He is always coughing and I think it\s come to the point where I need to look for alternatives i.e. pan feeding.
I'm going to try start switching him this weekend, does anybody have any tips or instructions to help? I have heard that putting one of the bottles teats in the pan and showing him will help him get the idea of where the milk is.

·
2,203 Posts
Fingers or nipple helps a lot! Hold the dish at first. I find it easier to stand over the top of them facing the same way. (Straddled).

·
goat girl x0x0
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
should i heat the milk up a little more than usual, considering the steel bowl will pribably leech heat of quickly?

·
goat girl x0x0
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
People keep asking me to check, haha

I'm not keen on opening up his mouth, but both him and his brother suck on my fingers and they both feel the same, or at least I don't notice anything different. Is there anything I should feel for?
He has no trouble sucking whatsoever, he is very eager and is actually better than his brother, just the pesky aspirating.

·
2,203 Posts
We always feed warm milk. Never ever cold.

Thermometer is our best friend.

·
Goat Lover
386 Posts
If it's hot where you are then I see no need for you to earn the milk. It might give them a belly ache or make them hotter than needed. I wouldn't drink a cup of hot chocolate outside on my porch in 80 degree weather lol :)

·
goat girl x0x0
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He's nearly 4 weeks old.

This morning he didn't make the normal gross noises when drinking that tell me he's not doing it properly which is good. He still coughed a little afterward though.
Ill try with his afternoon feeding today to use the bowl... I have good feelings because he's very eager to suck and search for the teat so it shouldn't be hard to get him to switch

·
goat girl x0x0
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, that was a huge disaster LOL. Milk everywhere, the floor, my legs, his face.
:hammer:

It was actually quite funny, I showed him the teat standing up in the milk, and held it there, so he started sucking and he probably got something out of it, but when i let go he kept sucking it really hard and walking backwards with his head bowed with the teat in his mouth :laugh:

He shoved his nose in a few times but didn't really seem to get the idea *sigh*

·
Goat Mom
829 Posts
My first wether would always cough after his bottle, not because he had aspirated it just because he was such an air sucking piglet. Are you sure he's aspirating? Just remember that suckling is what closes the valve directing the milk to the right stomach,you want to make sure it goes in the right place.

·
goat girl x0x0
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not sure, I am really new, I can't tell the difference. What makes me believe he is aspirating, even a little bit (even possibly alongside just sucking in air) is that his breathing afterwards is so...for lack of a better word... chunky.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts